Author Topic: Foreigner in Richmond  (Read 2282 times)

MsMetal

• Newbie Member
Foreigner in Richmond
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:36:39 pm »
I rarely write concert reviews as I never write them from a musician's point of view or a technical manner.  I usually try to describe the ambiance and whether I enjoyed the experience or not.  However, after last night, I could not help myself.  So, here it is:

Hot Blooded on a Bloody Hot Evening

With temperatures in the mid nineties and a humidity factor that equaled breathing pea soup and no breeze whatsoever, Foreigner took the stage around twilight.  They opened with “Double Vision”.  What a vision this band was indeed!  The lead singer, Kelly Hansen, has an incredible stage presence and a voice that matches the songs well enough, formerly belted out by Lou Gramm.  Jeff Pilson was a nice addition as well, how can a guy older than me move around on stage like that?

What surprised me most was how much harder and powerful they sounded than on CD.  While I don’t turn to another radio station when Foreigner songs come on, I must admit neither do I turn the radio way up (except for a few select songs).  I came because my 16-year-old daughter and I could agree on this band that they would be fun to see.  She was afraid she would be the only one there of her age that actually wanted to be there, but there were plenty enough guys around her age (mostly long-haired and pierced) to keep it interesting enough for her.

“Double Vision” was followed by “Head Games” and “Cold as Ice”, the latter being introduced in a witty manner by a very hot Kelly Hansen (take that comment as you will)!  After that I don’t remember the order of the songs, but I found most of them to be highlights.  Dirty White Boy, Star Rider, Feels Like the First Time, I Want to Know What Love is, and Urgent all were part of the performance.  I kind of missed Blue Morning, as that is my favorite Foreigner song.  My daughter loved the flute parts of Star Rider, as flute was her first instrument that she played and she is still partial to a good flute sound.

I must admit I did not know squat about the lineup, I only knew that these weren’t all the original members.  Usually that bothers me a lot, especially when the lead singer changes, but I never felt that I was watching “The Mick Jones Band” instead of Foreigner.  

I was impressed enough to conduct some research on the Internet on the current lineup, but was surprised how hard it was to find out about these guys (it took me hours to find the official website even).  Luckily I had purchased an autographed CD called “Live in 05” just before their performance, which has the band members listed by names.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that Jeff Pilson used to play with Dokken!  I have some Dokken and always liked it, but just like Foreigner never delved into it that far.

Unfortunately though, there are only 5 signatures with the CD I spent $ 20 on (reasonable enough).  After studying the signatures closely today (the day after the concert), I think it’s Jason Bonham’s autograph that is missing.  That is kind of disappointing to me, as I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin: During what I call the “noodling” stuff - the inevitable solos that take place at every concert and are to impresses the musicians and musically inclined in the audience no doubt - they cleverly interwove some Zeppelin:  Kashmere and Whole Lotta Love.  That fact kept me from being bored through the noodling, plus as far as I can judge these things these guys are some incredible musicians.

Also, sitting as close to 12 rows from the stage usually gives me a headache because of poor sound or whatever (age on my part could be a factor too), so I brought earplugs for my daughter and I.  However, they were not needed.  My daughter later at home gave as much a compliment as you will get out of her: “The band that played before them gave me a headache.  Although Foreigner played much louder they didn’t.  This goes to show that music that sucks can’t be played loud”.  This statement is coming from someone who listens to mostly Death Metal for the time being.

All in all, a wonderful experience.

PS: One of my favorite moments was when Kelly Hansen stuck his hand in Jeff Pilson's shirt during "Hot Blooded". Oh yes ...

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:34:58 pm »
well MsMetal for someone who does not usually write reviews..I hope this is not your last!  Thanks so much for telling it from your point of view and all hail the hotness that is Kelly Hansen lol!
sorry I couldn't resist!
Gina

michellea

• FF#3
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:42:20 am »
Thanks for such a great review! Couldn't have said it any better. It was a great show!!

MsMetal

• Newbie Member
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:01:53 am »
Wow, thanks for the good feedback!  I had to go back though and edit Jeff's name.  Poor guy, I had his name right the first time, but the next two times I got it wrong.  They say two out of three ain't bad, but in this case :ohmy: My apologies to the band.

It was the great hair that distracted me, that's my story and I am sticking to it :biggrin:

michellea

• FF#3
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:41:23 am »
I think that is a FINE story to stick with! That hair just could distract a person...especially when its right in front of you sweating on you. :) There are some other shows coming up in your area (VA and MD), hopefully you can make it to another one.

MsMetal

• Newbie Member
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:28:20 am »
I already checked the dates myself and tried to work a way out on how to make another one, but it's not in my budget.  Last Wednesday wasn't in my budget either, but it's the best 100 bucks I ever spent.

michellea

• FF#3
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:07:24 pm »
FAMOUS LAST WORDS:) HA HA! I think that is what we all say! LOL Something about seeing a Foreigner show...it just gets in your blood and ya can't stop!

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 08:18:02 pm »
you can always get in on the cheap.  Check sites like Craigslist, I have gone to many shows for half price with people just trying not to get stuck with tickets.  Good luck!

michellea

• FF#3
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:26:36 am »
Usually fair shows are priced reasonably too. Meet me at the one in VA later this month! :)

MsMetal

• Newbie Member
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:00:01 am »
Oh, they are priced reasonable - I agree - but I have to be even more reasonable than that :tongue:

Yeah I know about Craigslist, used them for many things before but never tickets.

I was actually trying to win the ones for this concert.  You had to be caller number 9, I was caller number 7 ...

I have a friend in MD that was never a Foreigner fan but I am trying to talk him into going.  Told him he was going to be a fan after seeing them :smile:

foreignertour

• Newbie Member
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:13:45 pm »
If you buy the Signed Cd from the Merch stand, it is missing Bluestein's signature. He was not part of the Live in '05 cd, it was Jeff Jacobs. Blue will sign the cd jacket if you hand it to him during the Meet and Greets. So I look forward to meet the ones that are fortunate enough to get the limited M&G tickets.

michellea

• FF#3
Foreigner in Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 07:02:30 am »
Yep, I can verify that! Michael is very kind and will be glad to sign autographs at the meet and greet no matter how many times he sees you! *wink*. He is not only talented but very friendly.