Author Topic: Name a band that you believe was influenced by Foreigner  (Read 1569 times)

SpocksJohnson

• Newbie Member
Name a band that you believe was influenced by Foreigner
« on: December 08, 2008, 01:37:31 am »
The first band that comes to mind is Loverboy.  The first time I heard "Turn Me Loose" and "The Kid is Hot Tonight", I thought it was Foreigner.

I'm sure there are some more contemporary bands as well.  What do YOU all think?

southbeachnites

• WP's Baby!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 02:56:20 am »
38 Special & Toto... not alot a little. Hell, who wasn't influenced by Foreigner from late 70's up. lmbo!!! I could prob name 20 more... That's what you get from quality!:wub:

SpocksJohnson

• Newbie Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:04:46 am »
I had not thought of 38 Special or Toto AT ALL.  Now that you mention it, 38 Special was FAR closer to Foreigner than it was to Lynyrd Skynyrd, though both were at the pinnacle of "southern rock".

NOW I remember who I consider to be the one band MOST like Foreigner!  The Brian Howe version of Bad Company!  Carbon Copy!  I loved them too.  And I've read where Howe considered Mick a songwriting "mentor".  I surely hear it!

Number1ForeignerFan

• THE BIGGEST FOREIGNER FAN OF ALL TIME
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:56 pm »
It's funny that you mentioned Brian Howe. I heard he was asked to be the new lead singer before Kelly was chosen.
The biggest Foreigner fan of all time.

SpocksJohnson

• Newbie Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:05:34 pm »
Hi #1 Foreigner fan............I had heard that too.  Not surprised.  I think a LOT of us Foreigner / Bad Company fans saw THAT as a workable, good match.  

I think Mick had a hard decision to make.  Brian Howe is a dynamic lead singer and talented songwriter, but Kelly Hanson is a better singer and I think likely a much more solid TEAM player.  If you consider that Mick "urgently" wanted to maintain the original Foreigner "sound", he clearly made the best decision.

The amateur psychologist in me says that Brian's "maverick/hothead" reputation was also a bit of a liability for an undisputed leader like Mick Jones.

Don't I sound like an effin expert?   I don't know these people at all!  LOL! :laugh:

Number1ForeignerFan

• THE BIGGEST FOREIGNER FAN OF ALL TIME
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:24:04 pm »
I think Mick made the best choice. Kelly sings these songs better than the former singers.
The biggest Foreigner fan of all time.

southbeachnites

• WP's Baby!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 07:46:57 pm »
Your crackin me up Spocks!