Author Topic: ode to foreigner  (Read 12107 times)

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
Re: ode to foreigner
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 05:55:59 am »
Okay.  I just finished listening to "Can't Slow Down".  I have to say that this is certainly the best Foreigner album since "Agent Provacateur" which is a good thing, in my humble opinion, for the band under the current lineup.  However, I feel there were FAR too many ballads and pop smack on this album.  I agree with Tatjana that there are a few songs that sound like they could have been on earlier albums.  The song "Too Late" is, by far, my favorite song!  It sounds as though it may have been teleported off the Double Vision album directly to this album about 30 years later!  LOL  

I feel that the band is on the right path for the first time in YEARS!  And I wish the best to Mick and crew.  My advice is still the same though:  Stick with ROCK, to HELL with pop!  I would like to see Foreigner return to their days of glory.  And I really feel that they will need their current fans AND their core fans to pull it off.  But this soft crap has to go if they want to get their core fans back.   ::)

Also, I just read an article about Lou Gramm featuring an interview with him.  The article really did portray Mick to be a very greedy and self-indulgent individual who only cared about himself.  If this is or was true, I hope that he's no longer the same person.  Lou even mentioned that after his (one or both) parents died, Mick Jones went to the funeral and charmed everyone there but did not even say one word to him.  I find this very hard to believe.  Maybe Lou is just angry over business disagreements and using interview opportunities to strike back at Mick.  I do have to say that maybe Lou needs to try to forgive Mick since he is claiming to be closer in his walk with God than ever before.  I know it can be tough forgiving since we humans will NEVER forget the wrongs done to us.

Also, I read some of the comments posted by web surfers at the end of the article.  Some of them seemed to be completely loyal to this camp.  They basically called Lou a hypocrite and challenged him to reveal whether or not he'd ever done anything wrong or self-indulgent.  On the other end of the spectrum, there were others that stated that he confirmed what they already knew, that Mick Jones was a scumbag.  And there were yet some that feel the same way as me: Both individuals who have accumulated great success in their careers are STILL only HUMAN.  They put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us.  They have their warts and flaws like the rest of us.  I don't find it very hard to believe that Mick Jones may have at one time had an alcohol problem or problems being faithful to his wife.  But at the same time, who the hell are we to judge?

I'm sure if Mick had been present during the interview, he probably would have had some interesting stories to tell about Lou as well.  I do have to admit that it was pretty unprofessional of Lou to take these jabs at Mick without him being present to state his side of the story or even defend himself against the remarks.  My parents always told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, then keep your lips buttoned.  :x  LOL  So I refuse to side with either party.  To me, they are ALL Foreigner whether they like it or not.  And I appreciate the good offerings of one and all.

Sorry for yet another long post.  Best wishes to all you guys!  -- Phil

P.S.  By the way, here is a link to the article for those who wish to check it out:
http://smashinginterviews.com/interviews/musicians/lou-gramm-interview-foreigner-lead-singer-sets-the-record-straight-on-love
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:02:18 am by Swash1967 »

Tatjana

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 12:16:27 pm »
Phil: Unfortunately it seems to look like as if bashing Mick Jones would have gotten Lou Grammís most favourite past time activity during the past couple of years. Whilst I can surely empathize with him to a certain degree I just canít endorse his way of washing dirty laundry in public.

The worst thing about those interviews is that people unfortunately have the habit to take sides. How can you form an opinion about somebody you donít even know?

Lou Gamm has enough on his own plate to deal with like for example his ongoing lawsuit with his own brother Richard or his issues with former band mate Bruce Turgon.

Anyways, Iím glad you enjoyed ďCanít Slow DownĒ.

Tatjana  :)

sherrmorr

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 01:34:53 pm »

Perhaps you are right about Lou Gramm's likelihood of recovering his voice....

]Lou has recovered a lot of his voice. Perhaps not the full range, but sounds very good. One has to consider Lou really worked those vocal cords, never mind the illness. It worries me a bit for Kelly as well. They are doing a lot of shows and Kelly is not resting the chords. Just my humble opinion of course.
Lou is in a different place now. He has young twins. He wants to be a weekend singer only. He would never sign on for the tour Foreigner has done this year, and apparently plans for next year.
I'm worried for Mick. I feel he has over done it a bit, and is physically paying for it. I wish FWT would give us an update. I don't need what the ailment is, only that he is OK
Those of us who pray, please continue to pray for Mick.
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

loyd

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 03:47:06 pm »
as far as the ballads go, foreigner only #1 and #2 hits were ballads, many couples consider 'WFAGLY' their 'song' so, mick has to play it, or many fans go home feeling cheated afer the show.

the tension between mick and lou goes way back to the late 90's when lou would leave foreigner and record solo material. lou could take foreigner's signature voice and there was nothing mick could do to stop it.  mick even stated when he first heard 'midnight blue; he felt like it sounded a foreigner song and that lou might be holding back some songs for his solo efforts. mick tried the johhny edwards experiment which didn't work out, so it was back to lou. when lou could no longer hit the high notes, he felt no obligation to keep him. i know tom shultz bought in extra singers to help brad delp after he could no longer hit all the high notes for boston. now lou is seeing most of the foreigner's songs re-recorded with kelly, noone is happy when they are {replaced} so lou lashes out when he is interviewed, it is just natural, look at the new 'it feels like the first time' cover, it is the same setting as the first foreigner album..this is just my opinion..that is all

sherrmorr

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »
Swash, I was a bit tough on you. Sending you a hug. :)
If you haven't noticed, I tend to get just a tad defensive when it comes to Mick. That tends to happen when you've had a crush on a guy for 35 years. Lou had those delicious blonde curls, but Mick has the most soulful eyes. Age hasn't changed that. He has beautiful eyes. He bares his soul when he writes, when he sings, when he plays. I deeply admire that.
As for the smashing guitar, I hear ya. When I listened to Can't Slow Down, it sounded like Foreigner, but it was more of a valentine. More balads than rock for sure.
As for "Women", well if we find ourselves at the same concert, we will just have to demand that one!!!
As for Journey vs. Foreigner, well I personally thought Journey was purely for sissies lol For guys who drove the speed limit.
As for the line up. Those guys are close to my age. They are rockin' to the stuff they grew up they were playing in THEIR car on a cold winter night, or a hot summer's day. No doubt they have memories as cold as ice and some more that were just HOT! At least, I hope so! It's just obvious they love what they are doing.
I look at Tom and thing man any guy who can play a sax like that. OK this a family board.
Swasjh, you are a true fan as well. I am glad you are giving these boys a chance. They so deserve it.
Sherry
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 10:25:03 pm »
Lou Gramm has enough on his own plate to deal with like for example his ongoing lawsuit with his own brother Richard or his issues with former band mate Bruce Turgon.

I cannot help but feel a bit sorry for Lou.  Life really did deal him a crappy hand.  Just think what it must be like to be him.  In your prime, you were the lead singer of one of the most commercially sought-after bands.  Then you end up having a brain tumor that robs you of so much of your faculties and requires you to take 15 different medications DAILY.  And now he is left with bitterness and is more or less a shadow of his former self.  Apparently the bitterness doesn't end with Mick based on what you just revealed to me.  :o

Mick hasn't had an easy life either.  Professional rivalry has always been an issue that he has dealt with since the band's beginning days as the front man.  Many of you may not know this, but Sting once approached him and called Foreigner "dinosaurs".  As far as I know, Mick Jones was enough of a sport to not let it bug him to the point that he decked him and made him pick up his own teeth after the encounter.  And then having to maintain peace between all the many members of the band.  And now having to maybe have to answer to some of the venom spewing from Lou's lips with every interview opportunity he can get.  I read that he went through a divorce in 2007.  I'm wondering if this is where all these ballads came from on this latest album.  :x 

I have to give them both credit though.  Both are moving in the right direction.  Lou is moving in a positive SPIRITUAL direction, though he is clearly having trouble with the spiritual concept of FORGIVENESS.  And Mick is moving in a positive COMMERCIAL direction.  It's just too bad that the two cannot shake hands and be friends again.  I reckon Lou feels that Mick cheated him; and Mick feels insulted that Lou is accusing him of such.  What a sad ending to their relationship.   :-\

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »
I'm worried for Mick. I feel he has over done it a bit, and is physically paying for it. I wish FWT would give us an update. I don't need what the ailment is, only that he is OK
Those of us who pray, please continue to pray for Mick.

I thought I saw another thread about that.  I then tried to look up an article about it, but could find nothing.  Can anyone please bring me up to date?  What happened to Mick?  And how bad does it appear to be?  Sherrmorr, you mentioned that you didn't know what the ailment was, nor his prognosis.  Does anyone else know anything?  BTW, Sherr, I went ahead and said a quick but specific prayer that Mick will be okay soon.  Let's see what happens!  ;) 

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 10:53:50 pm »
Swash, I was a bit tough on you. Sending you a hug. :)

Hug received and MUCH APPRECIATED!   :-*  LOL!  I understand where you were coming from.  I'm a huge Errol Flynn fan.  And it irritates me when people try to convince me that he was homosexual.  I don't have anything against homosexuals.  But there is no proof of this, yet there is an OVERABUNDANCE of proof to dispute it.  Many of the people saying this are homophobic heterosexuals who just want to get a rise out of me and others who like the famous actor, or they are just simply jealous of the fact that he was a STUD in his day and could literally have just about any woman he wanted.  So I know what it feels like when you suspect someone is attacking someone or something you deeply care about.

If you haven't noticed, I tend to get just a tad defensive when it comes to Mick. That tends to happen when you've had a crush on a guy for 35 years. Lou had those delicious blonde curls, but Mick has the most soulful eyes. Age hasn't changed that. He has beautiful eyes. He bares his soul when he writes, when he sings, when he plays. I deeply admire that.

Have you ever had a chance to meet him?  If not, maybe you should try to get backstage at one of their next concerts!  ;)  Rumor has it that he's single again!  ;) 

As for the smashing guitar, I hear ya. When I listened to Can't Slow Down, it sounded like Foreigner, but it was more of a valentine. More balads than rock for sure.

Yea.  I mentioned in another post that he apparently went through a divorce in '07, so maybe he was missing his wife when he wrote a lot of these songs.  Who knows?  Maybe he was missing someone else. 

As for "Women", well if we find ourselves at the same concert, we will just have to demand that one!!!
As for Journey vs. Foreigner, well I personally thought Journey was purely for sissies lol For guys who drove the speed limit.

Now see, this is how I KNOW you are cool!  Many women would be OFFENDED by that song, but you actually love it!  That says a lot about you.  I actually liked both Journey and Foreigner.  But Journey, in my eyes, couldn't compete with Foreigner.  This is how I fell in love with Foreigner.  I was 14 years old and still asleep in bed one weekend morning in 1981 with my radio playing next to me on the nightstand.  Back then I had HUGE dreams of someday becoming a rock star and even owned a Les Paul copy.  The song Juke Box Hero came on and as the lyrics drifted through the radio, I DREAMT that I was that rocker with a beat-up six string, with my head hung low.  I must have realized I was listening to a song before it ended, because I quickly woke up to take note of who sung it.  When I found out it was Foreigner, I bugged the hell out of my mother to take me to the record store to purchase it.  And she did.  And I collected all albums up to Agent Provocateur.  And the rest is history.  I mentioned in another post that I actually met that particular band lineup before they ever broke up.  But for some strange reason, Mick was nowhere around.  He was the one I REALLY wanted to meet since he was the guitarist and leader of the band.  But I forgive him!  LOL

As for the line up. Those guys are close to my age.

Yea.  You and I must both be close in age too.  I graduated high school in 1986.  That is the same year that I met Foreigner.  Maybe one day I will get to meet Mick for a change.  Maybe one day, you will too!  ;)  Thanks for your kind reply, Sherrmorr!  I could tell you were cool even from your FIRST reply to me.  ;)  LOL

Tatjana

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 12:17:18 am »
I feel sorry for Lou too and just like I said, I can surely empathize with how he feels, however, I don't think that giving your issues your mental energy is going to make anything better. In the end he only hurts himself.

Tatjana :)

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 04:25:57 am »
Agreed!  I think that if you have a certain degree of fame, you have an obligation to follow a certain code of ethics if you wish to maintain that fame.  Bad-mouthing previous employers NEVER looks good.  Even everyday folk can pay a price for doing so when you go on job interviews.  For once, this is one thing that we common folk have with famous people.  They go on interviews too (though not to obtain a job, but more or less to KEEP one -- LOL!). 

In summary, if you don't have anything nice to say, then just don't say it.  Maybe he could have reworded his complaints.  For example:  "Mick was a party animal.  I was always the more serious between the two of us."  Or:  "We rarely saw eye to eye, and this made it hard for me to want to work with him."  This still gets the same point across without hitting him below the belt without him not being around to defend himself. 

I think Lou Gramm needs a public relations pro.  Actually, I'm available at the moment and have a solid background in military public affairs!  So, Lou, if you read this, maybe I can help you out for the right price.  Just send me a personal message!  LOL   ;D

Mysecretlover

• Newbie Member
Re: Comparisons
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »
 Kelly's not trying to be like Lou ,unlike some have been saying on fb. Yes Lou was good...but bands reinvent for a reason. I really can't picture Lou doing what Kelly does soooooo very well on stage. Kelly's a pro at this...he's been doing this since the early 80's! Really....the big question is...Would this band be as popular and as greatly loved now, by thousands of fans, if it wasnt for Kelly or for that matter, the rest of the boys?  Mick hit the jackpot when he took Kelly on as a frontman!

But i am glad to hear that for those who have been to their concerts and have seen the DVDs, they now have a renewed appreciation for the band. They are Very Good at what they do...very good doesnt even begin to describe them! They are KICK ASS Awesome! I dont use that last word very often but there's no other way to say it! I know i will be a loyal fan until Im old and dementia sets in.

They will continue to rock my world til the end!

shadow

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 12:03:11 am »
Would Foreigner be as popular without current lineup???
Is that really a serious question? Why is it that people on this
board forget just how big this band was for many years.

Yes, this reincarnation of Foreigner is good, but its just not
going to be as popular as the golden days, regardless of who's
in the band. This band sold out stadiums in hours once apon a time.

As for Lou vs Kelly, clearly Kelly has been a fantastic
replacement for Lou. More then likely the only replacement.
Key word here is replacement. Obviously Lou doesn't have the golden
pipes anymore, but every now and again I'll look up one huge example
of just how beautiful that voice was not that long before his unfortunate
illness. I do this by going to YouTube and typing in "Foreigner on Regis"
Then I watch the look on Mick's face when Lou sings the last verse on
Cold as ice.
So glad that Foreigner is still rocking today, but it doesn't blind me from
how they use to be as well.

Shadow

aventuracane

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 10:40:15 am »
Shadow - great writeup.

You really expressed your points well. Foreigner was HUGE back in the late 70's & easrly 80's. Like you said selling out stadiums like the Rolling Stones & U2.

I still play once in a while the DVD called "The Foreigner Story - Feels like the Very First Time". It reminds me of the history of Foreigner as well as allows me to see how great the original lineup was. That is why I am glad Mick invited Ian Mcdonald & Al Greenwood to the Times Square, NYC concert in October 2009 & I got to meet them at the pre-party Foreigner  had for members of this board.

I think a certain number of the current Foreigner fans were not fans back when the band was ultra popular.

I think we are all so lucky that Foreigner is still alive and well today performing kick ass concerts with great musicians & performers.

In conclusion, I loved the band back in the very beginning & I love the band today and in my opinion right now they are one of the best live bands out there today.

Stuart  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:59:09 am by aventuracane »

sherrmorr

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 07:17:36 pm »
I couldn't help noticing in addition to their great sound, you look at those guys, and you can tell they are soooo loving what they do. It's almost as entertaining to watch them as it is to listen.
Someday, hopefully enough people will have seen the live performances that the Kelly crap stops. He is his own man with his own spectacular talent.
Jeff Pilson? Makes a guitar scream. Love that guy.
And then there's Tommy. O mercy. After watching him perform, I need a priest....
Michael is just such a sweet, sweet talented soul who clearly loves what he does. I just adore that guy.
Mark, knows how to rock those drum, and has a blast while he's at it.
These guys are truly the best, tightest lineup Mick has ever had. Bar none.
If you don't believe me, just go to a show. You will not be disappointed.
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 08:44:22 pm »
Would Foreigner be as popular without current lineup???
Is that really a serious question? Why is it that people on this
board forget just how big this band was for many years.

I was in COMPLETE agreement with you until I saw the current band members in a live Dallas performance.  I feel that this band TRULY has the STUFF to become as big as they once were.  They are excellent PERFORMERS.  The only problem that I have with the band is that Mick is going WAYYYY overboard by creating too many BALLADS on his current album.  Overall, Foreigner has always been known as a ROCK band.  But most of the songs on their new album have more of a Top 40 / ballad sound versus the few ROCK songs therein.  And back in the "golden days" as you call it, the older albums that have built the band to LEGEND status had a totally different consistency and were a total photo-negative of their current consistency. 

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here, but I just cannot stress enough how badly Mick needs to stop the soft crap and get back to rocking on the new studio albums (after prioritizing his health of course!).  Unlike you, I have complete faith in the current band members.  But now I need faith in Mick returning back to the old way of writing songs.  Some sensible members in this forum have stated that bands evolve.  But I really feel that classic bands seem to do better when they stay true to their classic fans.  For example, AC/DC's Black Ice album has the same OLD SOUND as many of their earlier albums.  I've heard their NEW SONGS played on Classic Rock stations.  I cannot say the same for Foreigner.  I WANT to see Foreigner get airplay with their new songs, being the loyal fan that I am.  But at the same time, I want them to earn it by producing songs that will excite BOTH OLD AND NEW FANS ALIKE!  I don't really feel this is too much to ask.  :/ 

Yes, this reincarnation of Foreigner is good, but its just not going to be as popular as the golden days, regardless of who's in the band. This band sold out stadiums in hours once apon a time.

I feel that this band has the gusto to achieve this once again.  But they are going to have to get NEW SONGS played on the radio that will excite EVEN MORE PEOPLE to come out to their shows.  Another thing that we fans (both old and new) need to realize is that shit happens over the span of 30 years.  People die and get sick.  Rock performers are not as Godlike as some people make them out to be.  Perfect Example:  Michael Hutchence of INXS!  Should the band members (EXTREMELY TALENTED MUSICIANS!!!) just quit and retire, accepting the fact that no other singer will ever be as charismatic as Michael Hutchence?  I think this is an unfair expectation.  How would you feel if you got very sick and could not do your job as well as you could at one point, and your company just FIRED YOU, not caring how much your customers and / or clients loved you and your services?  So, I'm trying not to give Kelly and the other new members of Foreigner too much grief.  I've seen them live.  And they CERTAINLY deserve credit for what they accomplish on the stage.

So glad that Foreigner is still rocking today, but it doesn't blind me from how they use to be as well.

I don't think anyone expects the new lineup to blind you from the old band's glory days.  But as a classic Foreigner fan myself, I feel I owe it to YOU, another fellow classic Foreigner fan, to at least take the time to watch them perform several of the old songs live.  If you purchase their studio album "Can't Slow Down", it comes with their NEW album, their remixes of some of their greatest older songs, and the footage I was just telling you about of their live Dallas Performance.  In summary, I thought their new album was WAYYYY  too soft; their remixes simply INCREDIBLE; and their live performance very memorable and enlightening!  I purchased this album from Walmart for only $10 on clearance!  :o  BEST $10 I'VE EVER SPENT!!!  LOL!