Author Topic: ode to foreigner  (Read 12277 times)

Jan

• Jan
Re: ode to foreigner
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »
Ohh, Tatjana, you are right!!!!!  Ian McD was long gone when "4" came out!!  Mark Rivera was the sax/flute/rhythm guitar player at the time!!!!  Thanks, Babs and Nick, for the reference to Classic Rock Mag!!!  That is where I must have read the story! 
We never know exactly what goes on in the studio in terms of editing and redoing!  That's why the proof of a band's talent and true sound is the live shows!!  I really do think the current Foreigner is just the best live!!!  WICTL, IP and CSD sound even more fabulous live than they do on the studio album.  They breath so much life and energy into the songs on stage and in the live recordings!!!! 
I would so love it if Foreigner would offer what Peter Frampton does!  He sells live recordings of the actual concert you are at after the show!!!  (+ a bonus cd of some interviews).  We each paid $35.00 before the show and then picked up the cds immediately after.  The covers were ready to go and there were 3 cds from that night's show and the interview cd.  A staff member was loading the cds into the cover :)) So fun to listen to the concert you attended!
Our only bummer was that Frampton had a sore throat that night and didn't sing his covers of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."  Instead, the second half of the show was guitar jams -- awesome, though! He is an excellent guitarist!!!!   I'll have to check -- I think it was "Abby Road Production Co." that did the recording!
Someone at the Frampton show mentioned that Mick played guitar on one of the first two Frampton albums!  (Four or five years before Foreigner).
Hard to believe this tour is almost over!!  I hope the band and staff get to really  relax and chill!!!  This has been quite a tour!!!!

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 05:58:23 pm »
Nick, I think I read that story about Tom playing the whole "Urgent" solo and blowing Mick away!!!!  What a moment!!!  I agree that Tom is the best sax/flute and rhythm guitar player Foreigner has ever had. He can sing, too!  And jump over and play Mick's piano parts!!!  Wow!!!  Poor Aerosmith and lucky Foreigner!!!!  :))))

Tatjana

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2011, 12:50:04 am »
Jan: Mick played guitar on Frampton's "Wind Of Change Album (1972).

Frampton is awesome! I went to one of his shows together with Bärbel this spring. He is a fantastic guitar player and also has quite some talent as a stand-up comedien. He said: "It is going to be a long concert. We are going to play about 3 hours." Then he looked around and commented: "Oh, there are quite some beautiful women here tonight. I have changed my mind. We are finishing earlier!"  ;D His interaction with the audience was hilarious! Such a pity you didn't get to hear "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". It is one of my alltime favourite songs and Frampton's rendition is simply beautiful but my favourite Frampton tune is "Do You Feel Like We Do" and of course the classic Humble Pie stuff! :)

Btw., we could buy a live recorded MP3 stick of Foreigner after their shows in Gießen and Bad Kreuznach. It is such a great fun to listen to a bootleg of a concert which you have actually attended. Jan is totally right: The quality of a band reflects in their live performances. You can always enhance the music in the studio by adding all those technical things but you must put your abilities to the test when you're playing live on stage. This current line-up is one heck of a live band and I'm running out of adjectives to describe them but I have often stated enough how I feel so I would only repeat myself anyways. :)

SoUrgent

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 08:21:14 am »
This current line-up is one heck of a live band and I'm running out of adjectives to describe them but I have often stated enough how I feel so I would only repeat myself anyways. :)

SPOT. ON. TATJANA.   :) :)

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2011, 10:08:11 pm »
And actually, the old studio cut of Urgent that you hear on the radio, played by Junior Walker, was cut and recorded in 25 different pieces, then put together to get that seamless sax solo.  I read it with my own eyes in Classic Rock Magazine, AOR celerbrates Foreigner "4" Album.

Wow!  Even as a fan back in those days who collected NUMEROUS ARTCLES and compiled a scrapbook, I NEVER came across that info ANYWHERE!  :o  I used to purchase any magazine I knew that had anything about Foreigner.  I even had a subscription to Hit Parader (any of you remember that magazine!?  LOL!  Is it even still around?).  But this is interesting info.  I guess I just gave credit to Junior Walker because he was the one credited with the solo on the album.  But I guess I REALLY shouldn't compare Tom to Junior since I've never seen Junior perform it live.  :/  So, that is fair, I guess.  ;) 

Thanks for all the info, guys!  You guys are definitely teaching me new stuff that I never did know about Foreigner!  :D 

SoUrgent

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2011, 12:17:03 pm »
No problem Swash! That is what we are all here to do! Share stories, build bonds and friendships, and share information about one of our most favorite bands!  ;D

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 05:25:55 pm »
Sounds good 2 me!!!   ;D

By the way, did you guys know that Dennis Elliot is now a fairly popular artist who sculpts wood pieces?  He actually lives in Florida (or he did the LAST time I checked up on him).  :D 

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »
I saw Dennis Elliot's website with his carvings -- really cool -- creativity finds its outlets!!!

Tatjana

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 11:08:57 pm »
Dennis Elliot is indeed very talented in many fields. He and his wife are having their own facebook pages and they are both very friendly and cordial when it comes about answering fan questions.

Btw., if anybody here on this board has a facebook account and isn't friends with me as yet, you can always feel free to add me. You can be rest assured that it is NOT a fan page! It is REALLY me! ;)

Tatjana :)

SoUrgent

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:51 am »
I second Tatjana!

Please feel free to "friend" me on Facebook... just another way we can share stories and develop a friendship!

Nicholas Pizzola

tennis921

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »
Hey Nick you are so right about meeting fellow fans & developing friendships, met some great people! We Foreigner fans need to stick together like we did on FB yesterday, strength in numbers!  ;D Love meeting new people myself, I'm sure most people know who I am on FB! :)

Tatjana, it's great having you as my new FB friend!!  ;D

Jennifer

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:22 pm »
Yes, Tatjana, Nick and Jennifer...we have a lot of newbies here. They need to hit us up to be friends on facebook so they can see the pics we all have posted of all of us together at shows. I'm always looking for someone new to see a show with, plus everyone else I've seen several shows with. It's just so much fun! I feel lonely now when I go to a show by myself...just not the same without a fellow forum member or facebook friend  along with me!

loyd

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 04:00:35 pm »
Tatjana: can you ask dennis if he is out driving with newly met friends in the car, who just met him as wood artist,...and say cold as ice or feels like the first time comes on the radio...does he mention that he was in foreigner or just smile and let it pass...

SoUrgent

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:11 pm »
Loyd, that is surely an interesting question! I guess it would depend on if his newly minted friends started rocking out or singing along or not. I think if the friends were positive or neutral to the song coming on the radio, Dennis may mention it. Heck, I would!

However, if these newly minted friends said, "meh... not really a fan of this song", or something less appealing, I imagine Dennis would say nothing. And then he should end their friendship with these new friends for their poor taste in music, LOL  ;D

Who knows though? Fun to speculate on this topic!

Nick

loyd

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:22 am »
tatjana actaully asked dennis elliott wife about my question and she replied , he just acts like it is any other song on the radio with no reaction or comment.

on a strange note, if dennis elliott had become a wood carver first...he could have made his own drum sticks