Author Topic: ode to foreigner  (Read 9212 times)

shadow

Re: ode to foreigner
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 10:40:08 am »
Hey Swash,

Dude, I'm not disputing the current lineup
is tight. I've seen them live a half a dozen times.
I just don't understand when people make loose statements
like "This is the be all end all lineup of any
group of players Mick has put together"

There's such a rich history with this band and I actually
find it insulting to even Mick that some would dismiss
any other Foreigner regime.
Without a doubt, the first four records were by far
the best of Foreigner. The quality of those songs are paramount to anything
they've put out since. A few songs here or there after Four would
fall into the quality zone.

As for the Foreigner sound going forward, I whole heartedly agree they
have to find that rocking punch that made them what
they are today. That song that's loaded with hooks and pulls
you in right from the first verse.
Man do I miss that..........

Shadow

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 09:54:35 pm »
I just don't understand when people make loose statements like "This is the be all end all lineup of any
group of players Mick has put together". 

I'd just pretty much lost complete interest in the band since the days when it consisted of Mick, Lou, Rick, and Dennis.  But then, when I heard about how great they are on stage in comments posted in this forum, I actually decided to give it a shot.  I guess the only way you can understand is if you give the new band a chance.  Go ahead and check out some of their 2010 performances on You Tube.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised!  ;) 

There's such a rich history with this band and I actually find it insulting to even Mick that some would dismiss any other Foreigner regime.

I don't think Mick has VERBALLY.  If you know of a time he has, please let me know.  But I could not help but notice that for the latest boxed set he redid the pic from the first album replacing all the previous members with the latest members.  It's almost as though they had been waiting to get back from the train station a LONG DAMNED TIME!  lol!!!  I'm not sure what to make of that.  Sure, it could be interpreted as "to hell with all the others who were here."  But I REALLY think it was redone in an effort to tell the fans "Foreigner is back where we need to be.  The faces may be new, but the heart of the band is still the same."  But who knows.  You would have to ask Mick Jones.  And he may or may not tell you the REAL reason why he redid the album cover.  :/

Without a doubt, the first four records were by far the best of Foreigner. The quality of those songs are paramount to anything
they've put out since. A few songs here or there after Four would fall into the quality zone.

I'm with you completely on this, man!   8) [/quote]

shadow

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 06:52:29 am »
Hey Swash,
So your saying you lost interest with Mick, Lou
Dennis and Rick? Really man!! That was the Four era.
Considered to be their best record ever!

Not sure why Mick would alter photography on the cover.
I guess it's pretty much a no brainer that he's
not going to have previous members on current release photo ops.
There is know question however, that Mick and Lou
are at complete odds with each other and will stick it to one another
at any opportunity. Pretty sad if you ask me!!
I guess it's publicity for the brand name "Foreigner"
If anything.

Also, like I mentioned I have seen the current lineup.
They sound great!! Just not the greatest rendition ever, in my humble opinion.

Shadow.

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »
Hey Swash,
So your saying you lost interest with Mick, Lou
Dennis and Rick? Really man!! That was the Four era.
Considered to be their best record ever!

No, you misunderstood me.  I meant all the new members that came AFTER that lineup.  Hell yea, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THAT lineup!!!  LOL  I actually met all of them, except for Mick, he was not present when I went backstage.  It really bummed me out that I did not get to meet him.  :( 

There is no question however, that Mick and Lou are at complete odds with each other and will stick it to one another at any opportunity. Pretty sad if you ask me!!

So far, I've only seen interviews where LOU was slamming and / or slandering Mick.  I'm thinking that maybe Mick has enough class not to air he and Lou's dirty laundry.   :-\  But I could be wrong.  There may be some interviews out there of Mick stooping to the same level.  If so, I haven't yet come across any as of yet. 

Also, like I mentioned I have seen the current lineup.  They sound great!! Just not the greatest rendition ever, in my humble opinion.

I tell you what though.  I actually like the redone version of "Fool for You Anyway" on their latest album better than the first lineup did on their first album.   :o  I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much more crisp this new version sounded.  And -- as much as I hate to admit it -- I saw Foreigner during their Foreigner 4 tour and remember Lou's concert voice was not as strong as his studio voice.  I hate to admit that Kelly's voice sounds much stronger now than Lou's did then.  I believe that our show was part of the last leg of the tour back then though.  So maybe his voice was giving out from having already completed most of the tour.  I don't know.

My goal is to not box myself in to thinking that this lineup is not near as talented as the original.  I want to give the new guys a fair chance.  To me, this lineup is either just as good or ALMOST as good as the lineup I remember during the "4" era.  I will admit that Thom's sax skills are not NEAR as good as Junior Walker's.  Junior Walker was a fricking LEGEND back in those days.  He was able to hit those extremely high notes and maintain the transitions between them PERFECTLY.  But Thom still did a damned good job, not to take that away from him.  :o  He is still just as good and maybe better than much of the sax competition out there on the market.  It's just that Junior Walker was a Sax God!!!  LOL!!!   ;D

In summary, I just want to know that I've given all these newer guys a FAIR CHANCE.  And I will not know for sure unless they start rocking out in the studios the same way they did way back when.  ;)  Right now, I still favor the old Foreigner lineup for the fact that not only did they give a memorable show, but also made memorable albums that have DEFINITELY stood the test of time.  But I am also impressed enough with this band to pay for the concert tickets when they come to my area.  As for their albums, I will DEFINITELY have to preview each song on Amazon before I commit to making the purchase.  I want ROCK, not BALLADS.   ::)  And as soon as Mick starts delivering this once again, I will be every bit as huge a Foreigner fan as I EVER was!  I'm still a fan...just not as BIG a fan.   :-\  But certainly enough so to admit that I COULD be one day hopefully soon.

sherrmorr

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 12:17:17 pm »
Swash, sounds to me like you are well on the way to being a Foreigner Freak! LOL It's ok. It's a big tent.
Come on in.
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

loyd

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 12:21:22 pm »
swash1967: if you want to hear lou in great form, listen/watch the DVD of foreigner live from mexico..he ash full comand of his vocals..ther is point where he sits on the edge of the stage is sings pitch perfect...check it out

shadow

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 05:15:00 pm »
Hey Swash,

To each his own dude! You've followed this band
long enough to form an educated opinion.
And you've done just that.

Let's collectively hope one day before Mick hangs it up
that we hear a rocking recording from Foreigner.

Cheers brother,

Shadow

Swash1967

• Newbie Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 06:10:37 pm »
Cheers to you too my friend and fellow classic rocker!!!   ;)

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2011, 12:54:57 am »
Whoa guys -- the reference to Jr. Walker playing sax with Foreigner is a little misleading and really unfair to Tom.  Ian McDonald was Foreigner's sax player on the early albums.  Jr. Walker joined Ian McD when the band was in the studio recording "Urgent."  If I remember correctly, Jr. Walker didn't play the whole sax part.  I'll see if I can find the interview where I read this info.  Tom plays that sax part live every night and sounds fabulous!  Look back on the old youtube  videos and you'll see Ian McDonald, then Mark Rivera, Scott Gilman and then Tom.  Tom is far and away the best sax player. He also plays sax on "When It Comes to Love, " and "Long, Long Way From Home."  Love the sax parts on Acoustique!  The sax on Starrider is just beautiful!!!
At the South Bend show last year, Jr. Walker's son joined Tom on stage for part of the "Urgent" sax part.  That was pretty cool.  He was really a nice guy and did a good job on stage.
As far as Mick and Lou being at odds:  I have never ever heard Mick say a negative comment about Lou.  Mick has always been very gracious.  Lou, on the other hand, uses his interviews to make negative Foreigner comments for some reason.  The interviews are on youtube -- I can't even comment further on them.
I think the album cover and "Feels Like the First Time" may be a way to show the continuity of Foreigner then and now.  The same songs; new faces.  Just a guess!!!  I doubt that Mick had any nefarious intent.  I thought the whole concept was very cool!!!
I think a lot of people who compare the current line-up with the original studio albums are comparing apples to oranges.  Lou was in his late 20s when he recorded that first album in the studio!  When any of the first four album songs are played on the radio -- they are those studio recordings!  Kelly was 50 when they recorded the classics in studio.  He sounds phenomenal!!!  Actually, imo, Kelly and the band sound even better live than any of the  studio recordings!!!! The Ryman (cd) and Arcada DVDs drive that point home!  I saw Foreigner in July and August this year after they had been touring since March?  Kelly's vocals and the band sounded just great!  Don't know how he and the band do it night after night and traveling from venue to venue!   
You can't take anything away from the various versions of the band -- all members have contributed through the years.  To me, though, this line-up is very special.  They are so in-synch on stage!!  I think Mark coming back completes the circle!   The first time I saw him play live was at the Arcada -- he just fit perfectly!!  He always seems happy on stage and does a great job!
@ Shadow -- check out the live version of "Can't Slow Down" that is on the Ryman CD -- it is on Amazon and called "Foreigner:  Can't Slow Down When It's Live."  (Amazon had it as Alive -- not sure if they fixed it).  The whole CD is fabulous.  CSD is a bonus track that was recorded in Germany -- I can't stop listening -- it totally rocks!!  The studio version was good -- but this version rocks hard -- superb guitar solol!!!  WoW!  My friend and I were at the Ryman and thought the band sounded fabulous!!!  The DVD is great, too!!!
Thx -- Jan

Tatjana

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 02:34:22 am »
Jan is totally correct. Jr. Walker did NOT play the Urgent solo in one piece! It was put together out of various pieces and that is the reason why it is so awfully difficult to reproduce on stage. I think Tommy does an extraordinarily great job delivering the goods on stage especially under the light of this fact.

Ian McDonald did never play on "Urgent" since he had already left the band but I would pay good money to see him do that even if it was for just one night. :)

Regarding the Mick/Lou topic: I think I have already said all I want to say. If I'd make more comments I would only repeat myself over and over again. You know my opinion. ;)

I don't like comparing the line-ups with each other anyways either since it is just too unfair. The musicians are all unique and they all contribute their own creativity and talent. We are all unique people. Do we like to get compared with others?

Tatjana :)

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 03:30:38 am »
Well said, Jan & Tatjana! I couldn't agree more.
Babs

SoUrgent

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 10:43:47 am »
I agree with Babs.

And actually, the old studio cut of Urgent that you hear on the radio, played by Junior Walker, was cut and recorded in 25 different pieces, then put together to get that seamless sax solo.  I read it with my own eyes in Classic Rock Magazine, AOR celerbrates Foreigner "4" Album.

It is not to say that Jr. Walker wasn't talented... but like was previously stated, that is extremely difficult to replicate on stage, nearly impossible if not impossible. But Tom does it better than anyone I have heard.

sherrmorr

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 12:54:44 pm »
SoUrgent, I read the same article. I believe Tom strutting his stuff left Mick scratching his head. He said something like, "you aren't supposed to be able to do that" and then explained the rather complicated cutting and splicing for the original production. Tom is just awesome. I would venture to say Mick doesn't impress easily, but Tom managed to do so. Tom is by far the best sax man Foreigner has EVER had. Can't believe Aerosmith let him slip through their fingers, but so glad they did!
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

tennis921

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2011, 01:17:48 pm »
All I can say is I love the current line-up of Foreigner, the past group was awesome, but are not in the band anymore. I get tired of the where's Lou & the other band members from the past. They have moved on, Foreigner is moving on I look forward to the future of more great music & concerts! :)

Hey Jan, right on the money you go girl, Tommy is a sax god, no doubt about that!!! :)

Jennifer :)

ekelly51

• FF#2
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »
I agree with you Jennifer. I love the current line up very much and I liked the past line up as well but they no longer exist as a group. Let's move on and not keep bringing up the past. The past is now a memory that was enjoyed and now let's enjoy and embrace the present. In my own opinion, these guys are awesome :) ;D

Eunice