Author Topic: Lou Vs Kelly  (Read 12395 times)

MetalMystriss

• SLAVE TO THE GUITAR GODS!
Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »
Nope...Not a relative nor have I been paid to say what I said. I have been a fan of his music however since the 80's & he is not only a singer, he plays many instruments as well, that's why I said he's an all around MUSICIAN!

If you read my posts, you'd see that I NEVER said Lou didn't contribute anything to the band. Lou was a major part of FOREIGNER & that can never be taken from him. I am just one of those people who wasn't a Lou fan. I feel the new FOREIGNER lineup is better then the old. IT'S MY OPINION! & NO ONE WILL CHANGE IT! ;o)

What are you going on about wars for? We are talking about a rock band.:unsure:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

Jan

• Jan
Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2009, 05:08:09 pm »
OK, guys.  First of all the description of the new CD/DVD package states that there is one CD of new songs vocals (except for "Fool For You Anyway," which was on the first album and Mick's solo album -- all vocals by Kelly.  The 2nd CD is remasters of the orginal studio classics with Lou, I think.  The DVD is live concert footage from the Eupropean tour this summer with all of the current memebers.  For $12.99 -- that is a lot of music -- new, old and DVD??  I paid  $20.00+ for the Soundstage DVD which was more than worth every penny!!!  (Brian was not in that, so this will be awesome to have footage of Brian!!).
I have seen the band live 5X in the last year and they so rock all the songs!!  The chemistry and energy is fabulous.  Kelly's vocals are outstanding live and he puts on a great show!  He has crowd rapport and seems to love what he is doing!! The rest of the guys look like they are having fun, too!!!  There is so much talent on that stage!  All of  the band members are really nice guys and passionate about their music!!  Their staff is wonderful and going to one of their concerts is so much fun!!!!  At the Phoenix concert, Mick said,"It's all about you, the fans, it's why we do what we do."  How wonderful that he feel that way after 30+ years of performing!!
I never saw Lou live.  I do have the Deer Creek DVD, which I really like -- he did make such a contribution to Foreigner!  Why he and Mick parted several times is between them.  I don't know about the "ballad" part -- Lou's new solo album is heavy on ballads!  I didn't think any of those songs were hard rockers. I have seen live clips of Lou before he got sick and some of his vocals seem strained.
The clips and songs I have heard from "Can't Slow Down" seem to be a nice mix of rock, mid-tempo and ballads.  If you listen to the original albums individually, you'll find about the same combination of rock/mid/ballad.  Remember that the compilations pull mostly from the first six (Foreigner, Double Vision, Head Games, Four, Inside Info, Agent Provocateur).
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the CDs/DVD!!
Love the current band and seeing them live :)

MetalMystriss

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2009, 06:25:43 pm »
I'm looking forward to the new releases myself Jan!! 3 days!!!!!!!:tongue:

btw~ I agree with everything you said Jan! :smile:

We're all FOREIGNER fans whether it be a fan of the 'LOU' yrs or the 'NEW' yrs. It's all good!:cool:

Although what do I know since Kelly's supposedly paid me to stick up for him, LOL NOT! Kelly's music creditials are solid.

Although if you want to Kelly, you can buy us drinks at the show Sunday if you want :wink:

j/k  Your performance will be payment enough for this fan :smile:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

shadow

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2009, 01:27:52 am »
Why would you stick up for Kelly? No one is slamming him here. I for one am grateful he's singing with Foreigner, as the alternative would likely be no Foreigner at all. He's a great singer, there's no denying that.

But make no mistake, this band has sold millions of records with a singer who's revelled in the industry and is considered to be one of the top ten rock singers of all time. These are facts and not just my opinion.

In terms of polls and message boards, don't be fooled by just the consensus of this website, because I assure you the members who post on this board are the equivalent of a salt grain when you consider foreigner's fan base.

My comparison between wars and poverty was a effort to dispel your comment about Kelly vs Lou on a talent level. Your suggestion that Kelly makes Lou look like an amateur is just irresponsible. It's just quite simple, if you don't like Lou Gramm, you don't like Foreigner, or at least pre Kelly Foreigner.

Shadow.

MetalMystriss

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2009, 07:28:06 am »
No one said Lou was an amateur.Reread! I simply stated Lou is no longer in the band and I personally PREFER the new band.  ESPECIALLY after last night's sold out show where the guys played their a**es off & Kelly had even the doubters views changed.

I know how popular the 'Lou' days were. I just wasn't a big fan because it reminded me of my senior prom.

You underestimate Kelly's talent & past musically history. And I've never seen a top '10' vocalists list with Lou's name on it & I am in the music business myself. Paul Rodgers was on a few lists I've seen though & again...they're just 'opinion polls'. It's a matter of taste:smile:

Linkin' Park sold millions of records too, but I still think their singer sucks! (I'm in no way comparing Lou vocals to LP, I am simply making a statement that polls are as fickle as people.

AGAIN...THIS IS MY OPINION! IT WILL NOT CHANGE. :smile:

OK..I'm going back to bed, it's way too early after such a great night.:tongue:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

SoUrgent

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2009, 01:08:28 pm »
"Can't we all just, get along?" - Rodney King

SevenSeasOfRhye

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »
:laugh:   SoUrgent is right.
OK!  Some of us like the band with Lou, some like the band with Kelly, some like the band with both( past and present).
There are no such thing right or wrong!:tongue::ninja:

MetalMystriss

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2009, 02:51:30 pm »
Agreed to both you & SU! I tried explaining it's all a matter of opinion & taste. :smile:

Apparently I was having blonde moments because it didn't seem to come across the way I was trying to get the point across :blink:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

shadow

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2009, 06:41:54 pm »
There's no controversy here, it just bothers me when people come on here and slam Lou Gramm and then say their long time Foreigner fans. It's a complete contradiction. Bands today do not have the staying power like  Foreigner and bands of that ilk, and there's a reason for that. I accept Kelly as the lead singer of Foreigner but I clearly remember when Lou was in his prime and right up until his unfortunate health problems was the voice of Foreigner and the vast majority know it too.

Lou and Mick made magic that will never be duplicated by anyone who joins the band. Obviously their not in their heyday anymore, however, the original records are classics.

Support Foreigner today, but don't forget what they've accomplished in the past, and Lou was a huge part of that.

Shadow.

MetalMystriss

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2009, 07:41:55 pm »
Shadow...Well I know now that you aren't talking about me because I've never made it a secret that I've only rediscovered FOREIGNER's music because Kelly is singing for the band.

I have seen FOREIGNER in the 80's though, the last time when I went to see Joe Walsh, mid 80's, I just prefer Kelly's vocals myself. No one said you have to agree with me nor do I expect anyone else to have my views.

I haven't seen anyone trying to say that Lou didn't contribute, as I have said in a few of my posts...Lou was a major part of FOREIGNER's past, no one's trying to say he wasn't. But we aren't living in the past (well, I do sometimes but I assure you it has nothing to do with Foreigner ;o} ) & the band I saw last night, each & every member PROVED they have what it takes to continue the FOREIGNER legacy. All of the members. not just Kelly! :smile:

As for most of the bands that are making alot of money today, we won't even go there, I should own stock in the MOTRIN company, that's how I feel about most of today's bands.:blink:

I merely used LP as a reference because I just yelled at my one son to turn that noise down :laugh:(talk about a headache!!!!)That's why they make headphones.

One of the greatest things about living in the US is that we all have the right to our own opinions whether popular or not.

It's all good!:smile:

Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

MetalMystriss

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2009, 07:44:53 pm »
Geez Nick...you couldn't find a quote better then one from Rodney King? LOL:laugh:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

shadow

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2009, 02:36:49 am »
Fair enough M.M, was just confused with your comparisons. I remember vividly when Mick hired Johnny Edwards back in 1991 and he was not excepted at all. I went to a three quarter empty Foreigner show and thought to myself, this band sold out huge venues not that long ago.

I also know their record company at the time, Atlantic Records, basically told Mick and Lou to get their shit together or find another record company. I also remember reading about Johnny Edwards burning out from the live gigs because the notes in which Foreigner music is written are very difficult to sustain.

Mick found a singer the second time around that could do justice to the songs that he has written.

They've now forged ahead with new material and prolonged the life of this band, and I'm grateful of that.

However, I'll never forget the feeling of awe when they hit the stage with Lou at the mic opening with long long way from home. I've seen this band over a 100 times including recently.

Shadow.

MetalMystriss

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2009, 08:25:34 am »
I have no idea who Johnny Edwards is because as I said, it wasn't until Kelly joined that I rediscovered their music. I think I can speak for most here that I assure you, no one has forgotten Lou & his contribution to the band.

He will always be linked to the band in memory! I'm sure Kelly especially, since he has said he loved FOREIGNER growing up :smile:

The guys are selling out shows again & ALL the members are incredibly talented.:smile:

btw~ That's how I felt the same way when I saw Kelly & Ted Nugent for the first time, as well as Paul Rodgers when he was with Bad Co.:wink:

It's all good! :smile:

Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

SoUrgent

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2009, 01:14:14 pm »
yeah, that is the only quote that came to mind, LOL! :-)

Davidk

Lou Vs Kelly
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:27 pm »
 I have been a Foreigner fan since the 70's & i love Both singers , they are both amazing .
  I have been a fan of kellys since 1986-ish when i saw him play with hurricane , they had just out out their 1st E.P. & i was blown away by how good of a singer he was & have been a huge fan since  & with the current lineup he's just killin .