Author Topic: Lou Gramm Upset - Calls Foreigner Line-up "False Advertising".  (Read 25676 times)

headknocker

Re: Lou Gramm Upset - Calls Foreigner Line-up "False Advertising".
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 01:23:32 am »
Tatjana: OMG, you are truly my Sistah as you echoed my thoughts exactly, particulary the part about false advertising when it comes to Lou's shows. You nailed it, girl!

Whether Lou admits it or not the Foreigner shows since Kelly arrived are a helluva lot better than any of the Foreigner tours after Lou's surgery. I , for one, was glad he left because his diminished range was killing the shows...and this is coming from someone who has always adored Lou and considers pre-op Lou to be the greatest male rock vocalist in my lifetime. I wouldn't pay a plug nickel to see him these days.

shadow

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 05:10:27 pm »
I was really reluctant to reply to this topic but frankly couldn't resist any longer!
The small mindedness of some of the posts on this forum are quite shocking to me.

-Does anyone on this forum really know Mick or Lou on a personal level???
-Do we know exactly what went down with those two resulting in an ugly parting??
-Did it occur to anyone, why there's been so many members of this band come and go?
-What do you think the chances are that Mick rerecorded the classics for royalty distribution reasons.

Some people on this forum say things like, not again, sooooo tired of this and here we go again.
Just a friendly reminder that the Foreigner fan base doesn't only consist of the twenty or so posters on this board. Thank goodness for that, as I'm quite certain Foreigner would be out of business!!!

Hey Headknocker: You wouldn't pay a plug nickel to see him today? That's classic and pathetic at the same time. Really dude??? Loyal to an extent, nice!!

Swash: You say you've seen Foreigner three times in their heyday and Lou sounded nothing like he did in the studio. I can assure you with the hundred or so times I've seen this band in the glory days, he was brilliant.

Tatjana: How about this for advertising a Lou Gramm concert " Lou Gramm original lead singer of Foreigner"
Enter at your own risk as I've had an unfortunate brain tumor that has robbed me of my legendary voice.
Will that work for ya?

Lastly, was just wondering how many current posters on this forum were on the original Foreigner forums that Melanie ran back in, I'm going to say 1995 or so?

Cheers,
Shadow

rv67

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »
Ok so..........lets see you answer the questions you asked us Mr genius since you know so much bring it on!! you ain't all that either what do you plan too prove too us outside of the fact that you really haven't said anything except how critical and butt hurt you are cause we speak about Lou's continous cry baby antics!!! yeah we said it and we'll say it again we are sick of it!!! too all of you Lou Defenders of the universe!! STOP CRYIN :'(

shadow

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »
Re: rv67-?????

Tatjana

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 01:13:28 am »
Shadow: You missed the point.

By „here we go again“ it was obvious that I meant to say we’re starting with the same odd topic again which has already been beaten to death. If you scroll through the forum you will find that this interview has already been brought up and it looks like as if certain people would only re-start it all over again to start strife.

Also, if you frequently read the forum it might have already occurred to you that I have showed my discontent about this side taking since we ALL neither know anybody on a personal level nor do we know what has happened between them. Besides, there is never ever such a thing like the absolute truth existing as soon as it comes about wounded emotions and hurt pride.

If Mick re-recorded the classics for distributional reasons then Lou Gramm will benefit from those as well since he co-wrote lots of the songs together with him.

If Lou claims that calling this incarnation Foreigner would be false advertising it is okay to say that he is doing the same by saying that people will hear classic Foreigner hits at his shows. Of course they do hear those songs but not in the way they were originally written and performed.

Headknocker has seen plenty of Foreigner shows with post-op Lou Gramm so I think it is safe to say that he knows what he is talking about.

And lasty, yes, Headknocker and I have been members of the Mel’s old forum.

Tatjana

headknocker

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 01:52:51 am »
shadow: I saw post-op Lou a ton of times during the '99,00 and '02 tours and it got really tiresome worrying if he was gonna sound at least half decent. I shelled out some serious money for tix and travel expenses to attend the shows during those years so I think I'm more than a little entitled to my opinion.

And yeah I became a member of ForeignerTalk in late '98 and was a regular poster on that board up until it's demise. I also met Melanie at the Newport, RI show and we emailed each other on numerous occasions.

What else do you want to know? It's not like I give a damn what you think anyway so get off your high horse.

JCC

• Newbie Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 10:17:34 am »
Well, I don't think that the band presents "false advertising". They make it clear they have only one original member, they play the hit songs, and they know everyone likes the music. They are a professional cover band.
Lou just doesn't have the "mojo" any longer, and that is sad. But, Foreigner isn't the only band snatching up the cash on old songs--Journey has been doing this for years.

shadow

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
Tatjana: That's the whole point about rehashing the subject. Due to the fact that Lou was in this band for the prominent years, it'll never go away.

I hear comments like "The Lou defenders" and such. It's really a no brainer to defend a man who brought so much musical enjoyment to millions of people worldwide. I clearly get Foreigner has moved on and actually sound great. But the reality is, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation had Lou not developed a life threatening illness.

As for Lou doing shows, I don't see the reference to false advertising. Because he doesn't sing like he did 15 years ago????

Headknocker: It's okay that you don't give a damn what I say. I would however be more concerned with what you say though!! Yes you certainly are entitled to your opinion. The fact that you've shelled out loads of cash to see Foreigner shows is impressive to your support for this band. I actually vividly remember you from the old site commenting on Lou's vocal abilities.
I just thought your comment about plug nickels was tasteless. I really thought or hoped you had more empathy then that. If your a long time fan, then clearly this band with Lou has brought you great enjoyment for many years.
These are things I consider before displaying comments on a public board.....And I'm not in need of a high horse to do that.

Shadow

rv67

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »
Let me say this then i am finished with this silly to say over and over conversation...i keep hearing people say well if it had not been for Lou Gramm they would not be where they are as far as sells go? Well if it had not been for Mick Jones who had a vision about this band he formed years ago there would be no Foreigner!! which makes it safe to say there would be no need to have a Lou Gramm either huh? Lou is secondary in this case not primary!!!! THE END> :-X

Tatjana

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 11:51:32 pm »
IMO the whole point of rehashing is the fact that Lou is repeating the same things over and over again. You can basically read the same statements in any interview he has done during the past couple of years. I’m so sick and tired of reading this and I know lots of other old-school Foreigner fans are sick and tired of it too. He still has so much to offer to his fans so why doesn’t he concentrate on the positive things in his life instead of lambasting?

I do see the reference to false advertising. He says in this interview that Mick has put a new band together which would be okay but calling them Foreigner wouldn’t be okay since he is not singing anymore. So it is only a lead singer who is making a band popular? I strongly disagree. The singer is the icing on a cake but a band is a summary of all details. The singer is not more important than the guitar player, the keyboardist, the drummer the song writing style and anybody else who is contributing to give a band a signature sound.

If he would own the name Foreigner he would use it with the utmost naturalness since he was their lead singer. He can’t sing anymore like he used to. Of course it is not his fault. Life hasn’t been very kind to him and his disease has taken a major toll on him. Regardless, it is just like it is. If people go to his shows they probably expect to see a Lou who still has the vocal range he once had and they might be quite disappointed with his performance afterwards. So yes, I see the reference to false advertising.

I think I have said all I want to say regarding this topic. So I'm going to rest my case. :)

Tatjana

jpolito

• Newbie Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 09:05:32 am »
Let's get something straight right now Nick, Sherry, Tatjana and Tricia. I was with Mick and the boys back from their very first album tour in 1977. I have met Mick many times and have pictures with him, autographs and lots of Foreiger memorabilia in my extensive collection. I have seen more Foreigner shows, of EVERY line-up and incarnation of this band than all of you combined 25 times over! I have seen Kelly Hansen on every tour in multiple cities as well. I am not a newbie fan like all of you bandwagon newcomers.

You all write like "little children and glorified groupies" in my opinion. I did not post this article to "live in the past". I am as much a supporter of Mick and the band as I have ever been. But the posts that you guys make sound like posts from little infant groupies rather than from a point of view where the music, the songs, the live shows, the writing, the guitar playing, the singing etc... is what it is really all about. I don't feel the need to constantly berate people who don't agree with you people. The sole fact that you people think the band sounds "great" without Mick being able to play the live shows tells me all I need to know about you "fans". It will never sound the same, EVER, without Micks guitar. Pray he returns soon.

loyd

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:51 am »
i will never forget when i listening on cd to foreigner in my car all the way from texas to vinton. la to see lou gramm band for the first time...i switched off "TWY" and got ready on the first row...i could not believe what i seeing/hearing...after after the show i somehow talked my way into a meet and greet with lou/his brothers...that helped soften the blow of seeing that lou's voice was gone...he was still guy who made all those songs, and a thanked him for that.

that being said, i also felt kinda cheated...when i went to the recent 'foreigner' concert in houston and realized with mick out, there was not one original member of foreigner on stage, i could only try to convince that since kelly had recorded on the last album that it was some form of 'foreigner' was on stage and the music wasn't bad, but the sub guitarist was not even close to mick's talent. hey this is where we are at...and i accept it.

for those who say 'life hasn't been kind to lou' he lived the life of a rock star and made some special songs that are a part of people lives...how many people on this planet can make that claim? so even if he finally lost his voice...i would say he has had special life compared to the rest of us who work a 9-5 five days a week...and even now, he only has to sing for a living, most of us would still trade places with him...

lastly, for the person using the phase 'infant groupie', i don't get it...i know what an 'infant' is, i know what a 'groupie' is, but i just can't put them together in any context...does the infant groupie sleep with a rock star while pooping in her diaper?

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 11:57:27 pm »
I, too, have refrained from commenting on this topic.  First of all, this site and Foreigner's FB page are for fans to discuss Foreigner.  The definition of a fan is "an enthusiastic devotee; follower or admirer."  I take this definition to mean that the site and page are for fans of Foreigner which means the current band.  Past members and the band's history are part of the evolution of the band into today's group of members.  The divisiveness is upsetting some of the long term board members and FB fans and certainly not attracting new members.  Lou has his own fan and FB pages and would probably really appreciate the support from his fans.  There are posters on FB who feel the need to use profanity and make hateful comments.
Not sure what we can do about them -- that behavior is uncalled for!!!

We are so very fortunate to have such a marvelous and talented group of musicians who deliver the music that we all love so brilliantly.  The amount of work, energy and practice that go into the tours and albums is phenomenal!!!  Every show I have been to at any type of venue has just been outstanding -- from the 900 person Ameristar to the First Midwest Bank venue which probably had 20,000 plus!  I am continually amazed of the level of energy, enthusiasm and sound perfection that the guys bring to each show!  This last tour schedule was overwhelming to me -- and I didn't have to travel, pack, upack, deal with the heat, humidity, venue sound systems night after night!!  Honestly, I don't know how they do it!!

I feel bad that the guys give their all and people still feel the need to complain that they are not "original" members -- really?  Nothing in life is constant -- how can people expect that of a band??  Members come and go for various reasons -- we need to embrace and support them or move on.  I admire Mick for starting the band and continuing after both of Lou's departures.  He has honed the band into the amazing group they are today!  These are the guys we love and support!!  We all enjoyed Brian so much -- his crazy good drumming and stick tossing + his unique sense of humor -- then he left.  He is doing great with Whitesnake and was named one of the top 5 rock drummers by "That Metal Show!"  I rejoice for Brian and look forward to seeing him with "the Snake."  At the same time, we welcomed Jason and his contribution to Foreigner.  When he left, we embraced Mark and his drumming magic!  Each has his own unique signature but capture and share the familiar Foreigner sound!!!  I saw one of Mark's first shows this year and boy, did he slide right into awesomeness with the drums and his rapport with the guys!  He is fun to watch and sounds fantastic!

And Kelly, what a pro!!!  Night after night belting out the hits with his voice so strong and clear!  Singers much younger than he have been pulling out of tours with vocal issues!!!  He delivers the emotion, timing and purity of the songs the way they were written.  He is the perfect front man with his easy smile and wit on stage -- interacting with the crowd.  The most amazing Kelly moment for me happened at the Ryman.  Pam and I were so fortunate to be at the HDNet taping.  "Juke Box Hero" -- the lights came up and Kelly ran down, jumped off the platform and caught his foot (possibly) on a cable and went sliding almost off the stage on his stomach.  He kept singing!!!!  Jeff, Tom and Mick came over and kept playing -- checking to see if he was OK. Kelly picked himself up and continued belting out JBH!!  We heard him hit the stage -- that had to hurt!!  We screamed and then were speechless!  We are so fortunate to have him! Plus, his tweets are very entertaining -- as is his FB page :)

I could go on about Mick's amazing guitar playing and wonderful keyboard skills. We all pay homage to his musicianship!!!!!  Great choice to do the acoustic tour -- yay for us fans!!!  We had a sample at the Arcada and what a treat!!!!  Also, his sweet and kind nature and graciousness to fans.  He is a living legend and has kept the music alive and well and writing new songs to add to such an impressive body of work!  I so look forward to his return!!!!

And Tom!  Unbelievable that he can play every instrument in the band and almost has this year -- jumping over to keyboards to fill in for Mick!  "Urgent" has never sounded better!!!  LLWFH -- the sax part is just perfect!  Love the sax in the acoustic versions -- esp. Starrider -- so awesome!!!!  He is always smiling, having fun and interacting with fans from the stage!  In addition, he shares his tips on coffee, music, and comedy on FB!!!  His vocals rock, too!

Jeff -- wow -- fabulous on bass!  The additional art of arranging and laying out the vocal harmonies and his strong vocal harmony! Bravo on Acoustique -- a real winner!!!  He gives 110% energy every show!!!  His FB fan page is really fun!  So cool to find videos of him playing in "super groups" from time to time!

How wonderful that we have Michael!!!  He is such a talented keyboardist and his passion just flows out as he plays!!! His solos are so powerful!! He has a great time on stage rockin' with the fans!!  His solo work is so engaging, too!!!

The biggest welcome back to Mark! His power and precision are so perfect with Foreigner. I love watching him in the Deer Creek video from the 90s!!!  He was just outstanding with Pink -- especially the Funhouse Tour -- the live from Australia dvd!  It just feels like the circle is complete with him back on drums!!!!

This band is Foreigner!  I might add that each member of the band has been super nice and gracious each time we have met them.

Pam and I saw Lou last summer with his band and we have tickets to see him again in a couple of weeks.  All I can say is that I am very sad that Lou feels the need to perpetuate negativity. He made his choice to move on -- twice.  He has his own band; he can sing Foreigner songs and his solo work including his Christian music.  He has artistic control.  I truly feel that music should be about inclusion and acceptance. 

Honestly, anyone who attends a concert can find out who the current band members are on the internet and watch dozens of youtube videos before they buy tickets!  I really don't get it when people are "shocked" that a certain member is no longer in a band!!!  Blue Oyster Cult was here last week and we looked up who was who.  There was a last minute change -- Rudy Sarzo was replaced by BOC's original bass player -- that was fine!  We didn't feel the need to go on their fan or FB pages and complain!!!  We saw Bon Jovi when Richie was in rehab and Phil X stepped in -- didn't even think about staying home or complaining.  Life happens, changes occur and you just have to roll with it!!!

Hats off and a huge thank you to our Foreigner guys for all their hard work and dedication -- Mick, Kelly, Tom, Jeff, Michael and Mark -- you are absolutely the best!!!  We really, really appreciate you and all that you do!!!!!

To all my Foreigner fan friends -- we have to stay focused and positive and keep the discussions in the present for the guys!!!  On to the Dec '11 and 2012 tours!!!!!!!  Rock on Foreigner!!!!!!!!

Jan

triciajane

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 12:49:58 am »
Thank you Jan for your comments.  I completely agree with you and am glad you put your thoughts into words so well.   The hateful and bitter comments that have been posted lately definitely have no place here on Foreigners fan page.  We come here to enjoy and share our love of Foreigner as it is today. 

I look forward to a new year with our fabulous Foreigner guys.  I also look forward to chatting with with all the true Fans here on the community board.  Like you said, we need to stay focused and positive and show Mick, Kelly, Jeff, Tom, Michael and Mark that we truly think they are the best in every way!!

As for me, I won't be opening or reading any posts from the dissenters, whiners or complainers!  I know who they are now and honestly don't have time for their ugliness.  Life's too short!!  Maybe if we all ignore their posts they will get the hint and go away!

Foreigner "Groupie",

Trish :) 

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 04:51:08 am »
Great write-up, Jan, couldn't agree more!
Just found a great link someone posted on FB - great Kelly interview:
http://www.rockpages.gr/detailspage.aspx?id=6442&type=1&lang=EN
Enjoy!
Babs
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:56:58 am by Babs »