Author Topic: Lou Gramm Upset - Calls Foreigner Line-up "False Advertising".  (Read 22990 times)

sherrmorr

Re: Lou Gramm Upset - Calls Foreigner Line-up "False Advertising".
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 07:36:10 am »
Babs, thanks for sharing. That is a nice interview from Kelly.
Great comments from the fans. I do love the new lineup. When Mick was absent, I wasn't upset because there were no "original" members of the band. I was upset because I was missing Mick. Joel Hoekstra did a great job and I found myself liking him in spite of myself! LOL
The most important thing is Mick is apparently OK, since there are future shows planned. I hope to attend a show this spring. Would love to go to HOB in Chicago, but Chicago in January is nearly painful to think about.... Hope those boys make it to the south in the spring.
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

tennis921

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:18 am »
Wow Jan, can I just say ditto on what you said! I also have to add that I have made new friends thanks to Foreigner. I met some at concerts & on FB. Met Jan when she came to my area on business. It's great to make new friends who not only share the same devotion to a band, but also introduce you to new things like sushi & sake (thanks Jan it was good)! :)
I'm going to the Chicago & Effingham concerts in January (I know BRRRRR!!!) but I don't care if there is a blizzard & it's 20 degrees below zero, I will be there ready to get Hot Blooded!!!!  ;D
Thanks guys for re-introducing me to your great music & new friends, love you bunches!!!

Jennifer FF#4  ;D

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 02:24:47 pm »
Thanks guys -- I know we are all on the same page about supporting the band!!  It is fun getting to know all of you!  Yay, Jenniifer! It was so fun meeting you and so glad you enjoyed the sushi and sake!!!  So looking forward to the January shows!

I hope to meet all of you in person at some of the shows!!!  Besides Jennifer, I have met Jan S, Denise, Jeff, David, Gina, Sue, Debbie (from PA), and Margaret!  If I forgot anyone -- sorry!!!  It was great to meet all of you :))

Trish -- did you get tix to the Effingham show?  If not let me know -- I'll see what I can do!

The Acoustique tour is just so exciting!!!!  That preview at the Arcada was just so perfect!!!  All the songs sounded lovely -- WICTL was especially beautiful played acoustically!! "In Pieces" is amazing, also!!!  I found them both on youtube and downloaded to Real Player; then copied as an audio file and moved to iTunes.  Also have that acoustic download from Mt. Pleasant that was available for purchase.  I then combined all of those with Acoustique and made my own personalized acoustic playlist :))

Great interview with Kelly, Babs!!!!!  Thank you for sharing that!!!!!!!

Chhers to all of you and the 2012 tours!!!!!

Jan

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 05:34:45 pm »
Tatjana, Nick, Jan, Babs - you all say it so well.

May I quote Kelly - "Serendipity!"

Tatjana

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 04:38:46 am »
Jan: That was a great write-up. Thank you ever so much for posting.

Babs: Thanks for posting the interview link. Kelly just has a remarkable attitude.

Tatjana :)

headknocker

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 02:43:49 am »
shadow: When Lou opens his mouth and says these stupid things he comes off as a HUGE hypocrite(and opens himself up to criticism) since I used to often hear casual fans around me at the shows commenting about his much lower range. The diehards knew what to expect but the casual fans expected to hear the guy who wowed them before his surgery. I know some of them felt cheated. I defended him to the end but after awhile it became obvious the shows were taking a dive and it wasn't gonna get much better anytime soon.

I've been fortunate to have met him several times over the years and he always came off as a genuine nice and humble guy. These constant comments from him seem so out of character and he surely doesn't sound like a happy guy these days. I hope I'm wrong since I've always loved the guy as he'll forever be my alltime favorite male rock vocalist. I just think he should take the high road when he's asked these very loaded questions.

shadow

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 03:32:02 am »
Hey Headknocker: I totally concur with your assessment about Lou's off the cuff comments.
I really have to wonder what went down with Lou and Mick. I saw them in 96 and then again in 97
and was in disbelief to say the least.

I never start these posts on this forum, yet I'm often ridiculed for defending previous versions of this band through any response I might have.
Some people come on here and say the current version of this band is miles better then any Foreigner lineup EVER!!! Although very good, it just isn't the very best Foreigner ever in my opinion.
It's almost as if this band was formed five years ago.

With regard to Lou's remarks, I'm guessing he's lashing out at Mick. I suspect their parting this time around wasn't pretty. I'm sure it eats at him not having the golden pipes anymore.
He definitely sounds better today then he did five years ago, I'll say that much.

Cheers, dude
Shadow

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 01:32:48 am »
Hey guys! 
We are seeing Lou in a couple of weeks!!  Pam and I have front row tix, so we'll be able to report back.  BTW -- just heard the promo for the show -- original studio recording of "Juke Box Hero" playing in the background -- hmmm.  Mickey Thompson from Starship and Eddie Money also are playing at this show.
Jan

headknocker

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 10:10:51 am »
shadow: Just like you, I'm a day one diehard and although I love the new lineup nothing will ever be able to top the original lineup in my eyes. Kelly is a helluva vocalist and I love his stage presence(actually more than Lou in that regard) but Lou's vocals in his prime were really something else to behold...just WOW!

We had 2nd row dead-center seats for the '96 Can't Stop Rockin' tour and I just sat/stood there mesmerized. When I saw post-op Lou for the first time during the '99 tour I literally wanted to cry.

I've noticed over the years that forum members change quite a bit over the years. The regular posters kinda fade away and are replaced with new members. Although I haven't seen them in years I'm friends with Rob, JB,Sheri. Jimmy,Marie, Gene, etc. I'm actually kinda tight with Jimmy(the NYC firefighter) as we text each other constantly, usually busting each other's chops about Philly and New Yawk sports teams ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:12:59 am by headknocker »

sherrmorr

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »
Headknocker, that's great  you stay in touch. I come to know some lovely people on this board, and look forward to meeting them at some point.
As for the lineup, Lou had amazing pipes, but I believe age would have changed them somewhat even without the surgery. Kelly's range may be just a smidge lower. After Rockit's post, I gave it a listen and Kelly is a bit lower, but I believe may be self preservation. All those high notes take their toll. My notes aren't as high as they used to be. No, I am not a singer. I am on leave from my choir. My voice sounds truly amazing when drowned out by at least 100 people. :)
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

shadow

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 07:05:06 am »
There's no doubt age will take it's toll on your singing abilities. Robert Plant as one example.
But then there's Paul Rodgers, who still sounds fantastic today.

There's also the element of the songs your singing. I remember reading years ago that one tour put Johnny Edwards vocals on ice for awhile. Foreigner tunes are not easy to sing!!!

Shadow

sherrmorr

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 08:34:35 am »
Those songs are difficult to sing, and the tours are grueling. As someone said of Lou, never mind the health issues, all that screaming for all those years takes a toll on the voice. Although Lou in recent appearances seems to have reclaimed most of his vocal abilities, I believe he is now singing a key lower. It's all good. This band sounds fantastic and I, as always wish Lou the very best in his career. Hopefully success will mellow him somewhat.
Sherry
Tom's cat #1

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
Sherry,
Pam and I are seeing Lou in a couple of weeks on the "Jingle Bell Rock" tour with Eddie Money and Mickey Thompson.  We'll report back.  We saw him last summer and he did a nice job with his new tunes.  He did struggle with some of the Foreigner songs -- esp. "Juke Box Hero."  I'll try to post a video here that I shot of "Just Between You and Me" -- my favorite of his solo endeavors.  That was the first video I shot using my new camera and it is a little bouncy!  I am so much steadier now :)

I did read an interview with Johnny Edwards and he complained about how stressful those high notes were on tour.  I know there was a lot of fan hate towards him at that time.  I thought he did a respectable job!  He kind of looked like Fabio in that one video that was used in a movie :)

Kelly does an awesome job in whatever key and really nails the high notes!!!  When they played that "Whole Lotta Love" interlude in JBH, he sounded better than RP!!  Amazing he can hit those notes night after night!!!  I love the live recordings -- so awesome!!!!

BTW, I thought I read that there was going to be an audio download available from the Arcada -- anybody know?  The DVD is so good!!!  :))

Jan

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 12:23:52 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RCD4x18mMp4

This should be the link to "Just Betweem You and Me" last summer.

sherrmorr

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 04:15:46 pm »
Jan, thanks so much for the link. Lou is sounding more like his old self.
Sherry
Tom's cat #1