Author Topic: Lou Gramm Upset - Calls Foreigner Line-up "False Advertising".  (Read 24011 times)

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Re: Lou Gramm Upset - Calls Foreigner Line-up "False Advertising".
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2011, 01:34:20 pm »
YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steven tyler comments SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please find someone funnier to write new material for you

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

gravelhighway

• Newbie Member
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »
With Hansen a vocal dead ringer for Gramm, Spinner.com asked him its weird being replicated on stage by a band he no longer fronts: "It is. It totally is. But what's stranger to me is that, as I've learned talking to people who see those shows, is that in many cases the audience, especially if they're younger, don't even know it's not the original lead singer. In Foreigner's case, as I understand it, the singer was actually trained to deliver pretty much exactly everything as I did it, note for note. If I were in the audience and learned that while I was there, I'd get up and leave. I think when the band name remains the exact same, but something as important as the lead vocal is different, it's misleading. It's like false advertising."

•Gramm told us that without him, there's no Foreigner, no matter what Jones calls it: "He's put a new band together, and is calling it Foreigner. And that's all well and good, but unless I'm singing, it's not."

Ok... didn't he front Boston for at least one tour within the past few years?  Pot calling the kettle black?

ForeignerFiles

• Newbie Member
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2011, 02:48:41 pm »
Ok... didn't he front Boston for at least one tour within the past few years?  Pot calling the kettle black?

I'm not aware of Gramm doing any fronting for Boston. He's been touring regularly since 2003 as the The Lou Gramm Band. He has just recently been touring as part of Jingle Bell Rock with Eddie Money and Mickey Thomas and has done occasional guest appearances with other artists (but not as fronting another's band).

Melanie :)

gravelhighway

• Newbie Member
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2011, 04:12:41 pm »
Most upsetting to me is this comment from Mr. Gramm:

In Foreigner's case, as I understand it, the singer was actually trained to deliver pretty much exactly everything as I did it, note for note.

Obviously he hasn't heard any of Kelly's previous work.  Lou should take a listen to Hurricane's first album, then tell everyone that Kelly's been trained only to provide vocals close to his.

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2011, 02:22:32 am »
Michael Sweet toured with Boston I believe.....

ForeignerFiles

• Newbie Member
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
While I am not in agreement with Lou's arguments or feelings regarding the new Foreigner lineup, I don't believe that he meant that Kelly has no previous singing work in his career - rather that he (Lou) felt that Kelly had been asked to mimic Lou's vocal style and pacing when delivering the Foreigner songs during the show. (As how Lou first interpreted the song when initially recording them). I see what he means when he says this.

However, in my opinion, its a little silly of an argument. Pretty much everyone tends to copy the basic style and pacing of a song when you cover it - otherwise the song would be unrecognizable. In Kelly's case, I do feel that he puts more than enough of his own stamp on the songs as well. I see his performance as a nod and a sign of respect to Lou, appreciating the legacy.

I think that whatever differences exist between Lou and Mick (which is where I surmise the real issue lies), they are the painful ones that are causing Lou to lash out in his disagreements or anger - they are just unfortunately coming out as one off attacks towards those that really have nothing to do with the actual situation/argument. Unfortunately too, media picks and chooses what they want to present in an interview - and again, while I don't agree with Lou's assessment of Kelly, we do not know in what context the entire discussion was about, nor do we know what the entire interview was either. Stuff may have been left on the cutting room floor.

It's still my wish that the whole bad feelings thing wasn't being played out in such a public forum, but as any of us knows, sometimes when you feel wronged, you do tend to lash out and say things that are not always the best things to say.

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:38 pm »
Michelle, you speak and write with such eloquence! And you hit the nail right on the head!

May I point out in countless interviews, and even at times on stage, Mick and Kelly speak of how Kelly sings the songs as they were intended to be sung. Kelly sings the songs pretty much "album version", with little variation. Just go to YouTube and pull up any of the many videos you can see with Lou, and you will see that Lou often changes up not only the tempo but the words as well. Lou has a very distinct stage presence, particularly in the way he holds the microphone. Kelly has a very much different stage presence, much more energetic and entertaining.

Some may not agree with me on this or think it a bit strange, but I feel a lot of the success of the vocalists' stage performance has to do with the way he (or she) "makes love" to the microphone while singing. Lou and Kelly both perpetuate this, in my opinion, but Kelly in (again, my opinion) a much more effective way.

Okay, I try to stay away from threads like this, but felt motivated to put in my two cents worth on it.

Jeff

Tatjana

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2011, 01:06:50 am »
Well said, Mel.

There is never ever such a thing like the “absolute truth” existing as soon as it comes about people’s feelings and emotions. Everybody will always interpret and tell the story like he has felt it. It’s quite unfortunate that people tend to pick sides as we all have neither known anybody on a personal level nor did we actually know at all what had happened and there are things that we as fans really don’t need to know anyways.

I just wish this public bickering would stop as it only leads to more confusion and hurt feelings.

Lou could just say before an interview that he doesn’t want to answer any questions about Mick Jones respectively the current Foreigner line-up and that he wishes to focus on his present career. He is getting lots of good reviews for his “Jingle Bell Rock Tour” and he still has lots to offer to his fans so he should focus and concentrate on this instead of washing dirty laundry in public and dwelling on those subjects.

I have expressed my opinion about this a thousand times already and I’m going to stay away from those topics now too.

Tatjana

BonhamIsDaBomb

• Newbie Member
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2011, 02:17:38 am »
Amen, sister!  ;)

Toni  :)

Tatjana

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2011, 03:48:07 am »
Mornin' Aussie babe! ;) :)

BonhamIsDaBomb

• Newbie Member
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2011, 04:57:26 am »
Morning German Wench! ;)

This is so "Rocky Horror Picture Show"...."Let's do the time warp again"!  :D