Author Topic: Street Team  (Read 6908 times)

michellea

• FF#3
Street Team
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 03:34:49 pm »
Since many of the people posting on this thread are new and perhaps not aware.....As someone who previously ran another 80's band street team for several years, I made a FORMAL PROPOSAL in person in California to Foreigner's management in APRIL 2008 for an official street team. I received approval from her to go ahead, and was asked to draft a press release announcing the kick-off. I have an entire list of the activities she and I had planned. They were in the process of some obtaining some new PR people or something. In all honesty, after this happened, she completely dropped the ball. This management person never followed up and nothing happened. After months of my attempts to follow-up, I gave up contacting her and just do the same promos I have always done without the "official team." This management person asked me to develop a website, Yahoo group and MySpace. I have now let all these things go. I never knew what happened. Maybe someone else will have better luck with them than I did.

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Street Team
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 07:55:47 pm »
well my page is dedicated to the most talented and gorgeous man in rock-n-roll

(sorry Kelly if you are reading this lol!)

www.myspace.com/labelldame

southbeachnites

• WP's Baby!
Street Team
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 11:12:49 pm »
Oh Gina how I love you... I really think you don't have enough pics of Kelly on there. I don't even think your close to stalker status... please add much more and maybe add some special pics of him using generators and gadgets and maybe even a pic of you wearing your kelly shirt. Heehe. Tatijana sent me a pic of her Mick shirt (which was very cool). Oh and Sue's was pretty fab too for Tommy. Did you see Toni's Pilson attire in her pics? Nice flashing LED JEFF belt buckle, pants and shirt dedicated to him.... I think she needed a prize for that.

I was jealous when I saw the pic here of all those guys all in shirts spelling out FOREIGNER... us girls need to work on our Dirty White Boys at some upcoming U.S. concerts. Me thinks bra slinging and glitter pannies thrown to the stage will give make them smile... heehe, my bad! Maybe put their initials in rhinstones on them. :cool: Hard for a girl to look sexy in a t-shirt unless it's wet so give me some ideas if you think girls swooning in their pannies slinging Victoria Secret on stage is a bad idea. Is it?

Oh how I miss live Foreigner~

SoUrgent

Street Team
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 12:47:23 am »
Well, I can tell you that I WON'T be slinging rhinestone studded boxers or briefs from my pit level seating, but I can certainly dedicate my MySpace page to Foreigner. I have too much sh*t on there right now that I have been looking to delete, and was considering changing it to something different. But now, wanting to be able to help the band in some capacity, and us awesome fans as well, what a better time to change it!

I have lots of video and pics that I can add, so I will do that over the next week or so, and keep you posted so we can hone our efforts.

SouthBeach and Labelle, thanks for the great idea! (I don't know WHY I didn't think of this 3 years ago, lol)... you gals are too funny...

Question- should I still keep it listed as private? Or should I open it up for everyone to see? I currently have my page as "private" but really, I have nothing to hide... except pictures of my rhinestone panties, lol... JUST KIDDING!!!!

Nick

MetalMystriss

• SLAVE TO THE GUITAR GODS!
Street Team
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 04:19:14 pm »
You can NEVER have enough fans! So any PR the guys get is awesome!

A woman after my own heart! Only my dedication page was from his past projects & I'm old so I won't say how long ago I built it, lol :smile:

http://www.geocities.com/metalmystriss/kellyhansen.html

I have to admit I haven't had time to update it in over a yr. I'll get to it after I get new pics from this tour to add to it :tongue:

I also started a FACEBOOK fan group, that Nick & I take care of.
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

MetalMystriss

Street Team
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »
:blink:The link works finally, lol:blink:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

MetalMystriss

Street Team
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 04:28:57 pm »
When I started doing 'Street Team' work in the mid 80's there was no internet so I used to call it the 'Shoe Leather Express', lol

You needed a comfy pair of sneakers, clip board, paper, pens,flyers, etc. & the determination to talk to everyone you saw that day & get their names & snail mail addresses for the band's mailing list & hand out flyers if there was a local show. :blink:

The internet makes it sooooo much easier! & we can reach alot more people. :smile:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

Rika

Street Team
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »
Hey, Jeanne, would you give us the URL of your Facebook-fangroup ? I'm there too ( like many other fans) and networking via Facebook and Myspace is a remarkable suggestion! My Myspace-site is dedicated to Foreigner,too ( esp. after this fantastic summer-tour now) and most of us German fans are connected via Myspace. The blogs and bulletins are a good means to spread info and reviews.
So now, since the Foreigner admins take good care for the Myspace and Facebook-sites it's  perfect time to start working in cooperation with them !

MetalMystriss

Street Team
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:57 pm »
I agree with you on that Rika! :) Here's the link to my Facebook fan group for Kelly :smile:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55374587076

& FOREIGNER's link is :

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?id=1034538741#/group.php?gid=2216643838

I'm willing & already doing the work, have to let people know about the shows :) but if they ever want to have a structured team, I'm definitely there with you! I'm a sucker for a screamin' guitar! hehe :tongue:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

KillerQueen

Street Team
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 12:54:47 am »
Thanks for answering my question all. Now I know what a street team is. :smile:

I've been to your sites, Gina and Jeanne. Good job!! Thanks for adding me on Myspace respectively Facebook, girls! :happy:

Foreigner is quite a heavy weight in the world of rock music. I was wondering that there isn't any club to unite all the fans around the world. Has there been one formerly?

Christina

MetalMystriss

Street Team
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 05:31:30 am »
Hi Christina, :smile:

I honestly couldn't tell you since I've admittedly only really gave their music a chance since Kelly started singing for them. That was My bad! I have prom flashbacks when I think of their music back then :wacko:

I knew their music from when I was growing up, even went to a couple shows, but someone else will have to give you the answer on that one. The one thing I do remember growing up was them having good ballads.

I'm sure they had a fan club of some sort, most bands did & as for a Street Team, the record labels actually started them for the bands in the 80's. That would've been up to whoever their label was at the time.

Did that make sense? :huh: It's way too early in the morning to think! :blink: uugh! LOL
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

KillerQueen

Street Team
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 07:17:49 am »
Thanks Jeanne. Don't worry, you did make sense.:smile:  

There was a big gap in the history of the band. I suppose that's why there is no current fanclub anymore.

Christina :o)

Mark

Street Team
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 11:37:37 am »
The only time Foreigner had an official fan club was right after the release of Head Games and just before 4 came out.  At least that I'm aware of.  They mailed out occasional newsletters, and then just suddenly stopped.  I still have all of them...along with my official membership card and lapel pin. :biggrin:

Fan Clubs and Street Teams tend to work best for bands that prefer to keep in regular contact with their fans and provide advance info.  Foreigner has always been a band that keeps pretty quiet until something is a done deal, and then makes an official announcement through the media, usually a magazine or something.  "Too Late" and the new album were fairly typical of that, though we did get some updates here and there, especially that one from Mick.  But otherwise just some references given in interviews to recording when they have time, and then suddenly BOOM we get the big announcement at USA Today, but only after all the ink was dry with Rhino Records, Wal-Mart, etc.  I think that historical tendency has probably hampered efforts to get a street team going in the past.

The good news is, as Michelle mentioned a while back, they did contact some fans to call radio stations and so forth when Too Late came out, so hopefully we'll be given a similar opportunity as the new album release date nears.

Mark

MetalMystriss

Street Team
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 03:50:37 pm »
Thanks for the info Mark. :smile:

It makes sense to me now as to why I never really got into them before. Like I said, where I live, in the middle of nowhere Pocono Mountains PA, the only FOREIGNER songs I really heard were ballads. I did see them at 'JAMS' they had (multi band concerts,I guess they call them Fests today, lol)

Metal Edge was my Bible back then! :tongue: It's in my blood, lol :biggrin:

The band's getting street team pr whether they want an official team or not :wink: As you can see, some of us are determined to get the word out & we're stopping at nothing to get their music heard :smile:

Mark...you are right about most street team work is done with one or two people on the team dealing directly with the band. Those joyous 3/4/5am phone calls because you're on one coast & the band on the other, lol (one of the reasons that I'm up so early, if I went to bed at all. I'm nocturnal anyway. haha :blink: It's all good!

I actually prefer it that way, that way any ideas either myself or someone on the team have come up can be run by the band BEFORE testing them. Trust me, some of us can get a little too creative at times, especially when alcohol is added! That's all I'm gonna say, lmao! (Nothing illegal, just creative & most ideas have worked at getting the bands music heard. Trial & error, especially when on a budget.)

My motto the last 20 + yrs has been ALWAYS SUPPORT YOUR FAVORITE MUSICIANS & it was refreshing to see when I got here that there were others with the same frame of mind!:cool:
Keep The Faith!
~Jeanne

Tatjana

Street Team
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 01:39:45 am »
I would vote for a fan club with Mark as the chairman. :)