Author Topic: Columbus IN 8/18/12  (Read 1701 times)

Jan

• Jan
Columbus IN 8/18/12
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:02 am »
Sorry my review is late -- have been dealing with on-going family medical issue.

The road to Columbus begins where Jenn's review ended!  First, let me say, it was such a delightful adventure to rock with Gina, Jennifer and Jane at two Foreigner shows!!!!  We had fabulous weather and two amazing shows from our guys!!!!

Our Columbus adventure began with a 3+ hour drive from Hammond IN to Columbus IN.  Didn't seem too daunting as it was interstate all the way.  We had to caravan in four cars as our home bases were in four different directions.  Jenn and Jane took off first and then Gina and I followed each other.  All I am going to say is that Indiana drivers present a challenge on a good day -- and this day became complicated.  Jenn and Jane reported a total shutdown of the freeway caused by a hay fire early Sat. morning.  There were 20 cars, unfortunately fatalities and injuries.  Gina and I opted to stop and get a hard copy map -- hard to pick an alternate route from iPhone maps.  BTW -- never get off an interstate in Indiana and try to "wing" it -- learned that lesson years ago!  Our detour took us 24 miles of scenic routes and we got back to the interstate without incident!  Jenn and Jane had worked through the traffic and arrived in Columbia ahead of us.  Jane had made hotel reservations at the Indigo -- right across from the venue -- fabulous!!!  Jen and Jane ran over and got in line at GA line up.  Gina and I brought chairs and blankets and joined them.  These two shows were my first outdoor GA adventures -- lots of waiting -- but with awesome friends to hang out with, the time passed quickly!

When the gates opened, Gina sprinted to the front row and we followed with the chairs and blankets -- some rather drunk people had dropped a blanket between us -- so Jane and Jenn were on the right -- Gina and I on the left.  We had arranged to attend the meet and greet so we headed over to see the guys. We decided to have a mini-party for Tichy's birthday -- leis, party regalia and and a gag gift -- of course!  While we were in line, Michael stopped by and chatted with us -- just so fabulous to have him back rocking with us!!!  He updated us on his upcoming surgery and plans to rejoin the band after the first of the year!  (His blog update yesterday is full of great news!)  We chatted with Robin for a few minutes and then moved on in to say "hey" to the guys!  We took pics and put leis on everybody and sang briefly to Brian -- was just so much fun -- we were so excited and pumped to see the guys and the upcoming show!!!  They are so so nice to us and we really appreciate them -- and of course, Robin!!!!!

Back to our positions -- a local "Battle of the Bands" winner opened and did a great job.  As the light faded, the Foreigner intro began!!!!!  Double Vision brought the crowd to its feet and there was much screaming and singing along!!!  Every song was just perfection and the guys were totally enjoying rocking out!!  Having the Blue-Tichy combo back just blew the concert to an even higher level!!!  Their solos were amazing and their interaction was so fabulous!!!  Blue tore up the keys and Brian -- well, was Brian X 10 on drums!!!!  Wow!!

Every song was just outstanding!!!  Bruce did an amazing job on all the guitar work!  He has such wonderful energy and smiles the whole time!!  Kelly's vocals and antics were wonderful!!!  Tom is so cool and totally moved from guitar to keys to sax with such enthusiasm!  Jeff worked up a newer arrangement of "Say You Will" acoustic which included Michael on keys -- awesome, awesome!!!!  Jeff was phenomena,l as always, on bass!  The guys had so much fun -- the music was incredible and the crowd rocked out!!!!!! 

The final encore was "Hot Blooded!"  What a fun, fun time!!!  Michael and Jeff switched places -- which they had done the night before -- fabulous!!!!  Then, Tichy and Tom switched!  I have to tell you, Tom was super amazing on drums!!!!  Wow!!!  Tichy was great on guitar!!!  Gina videoed the whole thing -- so check it out!!  I'll add a link!!!!  We were sad when the show ended but exhilarated by the experience!!!!!!  Can't wait till the next show!!!

That is my review of the show; I will do a separate comment on the crowd, venue etc. a little later!!

Jan

• Jan
Re: Columbus IN 8/18/12
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:03:50 pm »
Here is the rest of the story of Columbus IN:

The venue was so handy -- right across from our hotel -- that was a huge plus.  The organization and lines at the venue were somewhat confusing!  When the show got underway -- all was smooth.  There were lots of awesome fans at the show -- really rocking out and having fun!!!!!  On the other hand, there were some drunk and obnoxious people right around us.  Thankfully, security removed them.  They were yelling and pushing and shoving -- so we were very relieved to see them go!  Jane and Jenn can add what was going on at their side of the front row. 

Our hotel and staff were super nice and helpful in every regard.  There was some fuzzy math in the bar/restaurant -- but we got that worked out!!!  Kelly at the 4th Street Bar and Grill was awesome -- what a cool place!!

After the show, we went back to the hotel to grab a bite and have some cocktails.  We ran into Bruce, Brian and Michael and chatted with them for awhile!  I think they were all pumped from the show -- as were we!!!  Michelle and her husband came in and Michael left so he could stay on track with his post chemo/rad; pre-surgery routine.  We really loved every minute having him back on stage!!  He gave 1000%!!!   He and Tichy resumed their old magic like no time had passed with their interplay and solos!!!  The rest of the band was excited to have them back in action, I'm sure!!  This was just a phenomenal show!!! 

It was difficult to say good-bye on Sunday!  Lucky Jane went on to the Sunday night show in Ohio on her way home!!!!!  Thanks to everyone for one of the best Foreigner weekends ever!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:27:35 pm »
Now for the funniest part of our adventure!  We all got home and were reviewing out pictures and videos and looking for any other pics that might be posted.

Jenn found an article/blog -- not exactly what format! It was supposed to be a review of the concert!   The author claimed to be a huge Foreigner fan and won tix for just himself to the Meet and Greet in a local contest.  He turned up with his brother, a girlfriend and an album to sign.  The additional people were invited in to the Meet and Greet and he got his album signed after his photo with the band.

Well, all he did was complain!  I think he was expecting a M & G at the Ritz.  The venue with in a field in a park and backstage was actually under the stage -- not glam -- quite obviously!  He said back stage looked like a prison and he didn't get to take pics of the band signing his album.  He then carried on that the M & G was too quick and nobody knew who he was -- he was shocked that Mick wasn't there etc.  He got two extra people into the M & G and got his stuff signed.  We all know that there is not a lot of time to hang out at M & Gs as the band has to get ready to hit the stage!!!  We are always so excited to say "hey" and appreciate the band taking the time for us!!!!

Then he made a big to do about us:  Gina, Jenn, Jane and me.  We charged in with flowers for the band (leis for Tichy's birthday) -- got hugs and photos and he called us Cougar groupies decked out in Foreigner regalia!  Certain members of our little group are younger than the youngest band members; I had on a Foreigner shirt I made last year -- no other regalia present!  He groused that he would have to dress up like a cougar groupie to meet the band
next time!  We actually waited at the back of the line and tried to be as low key as possible till it was our turn. 

He then went on to say there were no good seats left (newsflash -- you have to bring your own chairs) and he thought he got his money's worth after all.

His sum total review of the concert was something like, "The concert was fantastic!"

TomCat

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:01:20 am »
Great review Jan!!!! You have such a great memory to remember so many of the details!! Well I can add a little from what Jane & I experienced on our side by Tommy!! The day didn't start off to well with that 20 car accident, it took over an hour to go 5 miles! I was so darn stressed out trying to get there, so we could be in the front row & our designated spots! When we finally got there Jane & I were first in line....WooHoo!!!! Then someone decides lets move the line to another area!!! Really?!!! Went from being first to being 20th, not happy!!!! Jan & Gina arrived about an hour after we got there & we waited patiently to be able to inside! YAY GINA....she took off & got our spots marked off with chairs & blankets!!! Got our spots!!!  ;D

Had this really drunk woman who had to be in her 50's who kept stepping on my feet, I was wearing sandals & it was painful!!! I told her to stop it & move over...this was during Cold As Ice, I remember it well. Then she just looks at me like what?! UGHH!! Then she wants to have a conversation about her husband that has a broken leg & isn't here with her! Lady you are causing me great pain & don't talk to me when I'm trying to listen to the music!! Well as the show went on people were pushing us up against the fence, which was very uncomfortable! Jane & I are short & tiny, nothing like have people smush you like you aren't even there!!! I have to say I've been to 9 concerts & this was the only one where I actually got bruises! I did have have fun & I tried to ignore the drunk people!!! Tommy made it better with all the smiles & was feeling the love & music!!!!  ;D

We had had such a great time hanging with Brian, Bruce & Michael briefly before he left for the night. I got to give him a hug before he left & wish him well!! It was one of the best nights of my life, it would've been the best night of my life if another band member was there!!! I think we know who that is!!!  ::)

I can't wait for the next concert & hang with my sisters, it was an AWESOME WEEKEND!!!!!

Jennifer  :D

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:27:27 pm »
Don't know why I read all this only today ... but what fun it was. Wonderful reviews, Jan & Jenn!

Tatjana

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
I just stumbled upon this review. Thank you Jan and Jenn!

Tatjana :)