Author Topic: Disappointed Fan  (Read 2862 times)

• Newbie Member
Disappointed Fan
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:43:38 am »
I have to say how disappointed I am. I paid good money to travel 5 hours to Biloxi on Saturday to see them. I didn't know if Mick was going to be there or not - I hoped so but he wasn't. Still a great show, I thought he was still not doing too well. Then today I found out that Mick was in New York on Sunday performing with Johnny Hallyday. My wife and I are great fans and I would go see them again, but maybe it is time he decided if he is coming back at all. It is not fair to the fans. Anyone else have any thoughts?
jjsoko

jpolito

• Newbie Member
Re: Disappointed Fan
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:07:33 am »
I went to Twin River Rhode Island and paid over $75.00 per ticket.  I knew Mick was not going to be there but we went anyway.  Having been following Foreigner since 1977, I decided I wanted to see them no matter what.  I am sorry to report that my family and friends who went also, we all agreed on one thing. We felt a sense of "disconnect" from the band without Mick Jones' guitar and mere presence. We cannot go any longer unless Mick returns on a full time basis. I don't care what anyone says. For us, it simply does not feel right without Mick Jones. Just my opinion.

Bigtimefan

• Newbie Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:32 am »
You are exactly right about that. Kelly is trying too hard to connect with the fans and get them involved. I was front row in Biloxi and truly enjoyed the show, but he invited everyone up to the stage and even with front row tickets, we were forced to stand for the entire two hours just to see the show. Again, the entire group was extremely entertaining but it is just not the same without Mick. You can tell that the arrangements on some of the songs are changed. Why can't they tell us what is happening? If someone from the band or the management reads this, please tell the fans what is happening from now on.

TomCat

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:16:03 am »
In my opinion Kelly is awesome with his interaction with the audience. I've been to 9 concerts & #10 will be Saturday, I've had the best time at every single one! I'm hoping Mick will be back next year & hoping they keep Bruce too, just love him! The band interacts with audience & makes it feel like it's one big party! Every concert I've been to the audience just has a blast!!!! I'm sorry but when I go to a concert I expect to stand for the entire concert, can't dance in the seat! For Steve Vai concert I stood for over 4 hrs., just wear comfy shoes! :)

Jennifer

Bigtimefan

• Newbie Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:38:24 am »
Jennifer I totally agree with standing at the concert. I don't know how some people can sit. The concert in Biloxi was great, wish it had lasted two more hours. The point here is that people were 3 - 4 deep at the stage and if you moved you lost your spot and couldn't see anything.These were people who were 12 - 15 rows in back of me and didn't pay what I paid. Common courtesy does come into play even at a concert. As far as Mick is concerned, they need to come out and announce when Mick is coming back full time. Most fans will be disappointed but will still attend even if he is not there (still not the same). I keep waiting to see the full 2013 schedule.

TomCat

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »
Trust me I know about not seeing, I'm only 5'2" tall & I am usually one of the shortest people around. I always try to get in the first 2 rows if possible, the last concert I was at, which wasn't a Foreigner concert was GA & was at least 5 deep & then some rude dude says excuse me, I thought he was walking through the crowd to the bathroom! Nope, he decided to stand right in front of my little peek hole through the crowd to see the stage! This guy was over 6" tall! Can you possibly be any more rude! The people behind me weren't happy either! That said I just can't bring myself to sit a concert, I just have to much energy when I hear music enjoy! :)
Hopefully there will be some announcement for next years tour on Mick! Sure miss him!!

Jennifer

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:20 pm »
Bigtime fan -- I had read somewhere that Mick might have to have another minor procedure -- I'm sure he is just being cautious!!  He may not know exactly when he can come back full time!

I first saw Bruce in February and he was just awesome!!  He connects with the other guys and they feel so together!!  A group of us saw them again in August -- two nights back to back!  Those were fabulous shows!!  They had so  much fun on stage!!! Michael and Bruce swapped bass and keys and the second night Tom and Brian switched drums and guitar!!!!!  Of course we missed Mick, but the guys did such an awesome job!  Bruce was even better than the first time I saw him!  He is an excellent guitarist!!!  (Also, a very nice person!)  Mick selected him and that is fine with us!!!

We were beyond happy to welcome Michael and Brian back!!  They have such wonderful chemistry!!  The Blue-Tichy solos are mesmerizing!!!  Hopefully Blue will be back soon!!!!  He has some chemo to do!!!

Both shows were GA and we managed to get down in front from the start -- which was great!!!  We stood in line for hours and for the whole show!  I'm tall -- so I usually do OK seeing the stage.  I take care of my less tall friends ;) 

As far as the song arrangements go -- the bones are pretty true to the original recordings!  They always add some great jams at the live shows!!!!  I videoed Juke Box Hero at a concert a couple of years ago and it was 20 minutes long!!!  Fabulous!!!!  The studio recordings are pretty bare bones and designed for the radio.  You can go back and look at live recordings with Lou and there is quite a difference from the studio versions!!!  Even the song "Can't Slow Down" live is different than the studio.  I liked it on the album but fell in love with the live recording -- Mick has the most amazing guitar solos and just took off with it!!!  I prefer to listen to the live recordings over the studio any day!  Jeff did rearrange "Say You Will" to an acoustic version -- very fun!!

Our local venue (where Foreigner has played) sends out notices that "at rock concerts, fans will be down in front rocking with the band -- so, anyone who doesn't want to be a part of that can be re-seated.  There are seats from row H on back where you can see the stage while seated".

Below is the video from Sterling Hts. Michigan with Blue -- Tichy solos and the first 1/2 of JBH.  I could only do 10 min at the time -- I have to delete and reload to get it all!  They upped the limit to 25 later. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXNMMw5C1E&list=UUrzoE8ol6E_-z3d9owcxqjA&index=25&feature=plcp

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:51:57 pm »
One more point -- Kelly does a fabulous job engaging the crowd!!!  He works his heart out to make sure everyone has fun!!!  He has rescued us from mean security people by inviting us to the stage!!!  His voice is amazing and he is a wonderful front man!!!!  I have been to a lot of concerts and the fun that the Foreigner guys have on stage is outstanding!!! Drawing the audience in is his forte as well!!!!

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:53:14 pm »
Video was made with my old camera that is not HD or stereo - but it did capture the emotion and enthusiasm!!!!

Bigtimefan

• Newbie Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 08:54:59 am »
Jan,

Great video and I can't disagree with anything you have said. We have seen them 4 times in the past few years, 3 with Kelly and back in I think 98 with Lou at Pine Knob (we are originally from Michigan and now live in Louisiana). I know this causes a lot of disagreement but I have enjoyed the shows with Kelly more than with Lou and that does not mean that Lou was not great. I still play my Foreigner cd's with Lou and love all the songs. I just like Kelly's voice and fan interaction. Can't wait to see them when everyone is back together.

monster

• Newbie Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 07:50:15 am »
All said and done,
Mick/and or Foreigner should announce if Mick is coming back/or the concerts he will be at.
If the Posters and this website show him as lead guitar, and he is not. Then it is Wrong.
We love Mick,but without him. It is not the same.

Jan

• Jan
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »
Wow -- I just saw the Phoenix show and Bruce handled lead guitar for the first part.  Then -- Mick came in on "Feels Like the First Time!" and played through to the end!  Bruce stayed on stage and the two jammed together!!!!!!  That was just incredible!!!!  The audience went nuts!  Mick looks fantastic and played flawlessly -- as usual!  The band and the audience had a blast!!  Michael will be back May 10 -- yay!  Derek has been awesome subbing for him! 
I got to chat with Mick for a minute in the hallway and he looks great up close, too!!!  He was very gracious, as always! 
It may be that he has to pace himself and doesn't know ahead which shows he is doing -- I have no idea!
I do know that our venue prints brochures months in advance.  I am delighted to have Bruce there and blown away to have Mick and Bruce!!!!!

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 10:22:56 am »
Thanks for your review, Jan! Loved reading it. So glad that Mick performed  :)