Author Topic: Hollywood, Fl - January 9 & Rock Legend Cruise January 10 -14  (Read 4236 times)

aventuracane

Hollywood, Fl - January 9 & Rock Legend Cruise January 10 -14
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
Arrived back in South Florida after attending the Rock Legend Cruise. Was unbelievable experience. Saw 19 concerts in 3 & a half days. This was a real vacation. First time in a long time I was on vacation with no use of internet, email & with cell phone turned off. This was great for me since I own my own business and typically I am available at all times of a day.

Saw Foreigner four times in five days. It would take me too long to write about the whole experience so I will provide some highlights.

Foreigner played at the Hard Rock in Hollywood, Florida the night before the cruise. Almost didn't go since I was seeing Foreigner on the cruise and it would have cost me over $300 to get a great seat but I purchased a cheap seat & went since Jeff, David & Gina were flying in for this concert. Spent time before & after the concert with them.

Also, Dennis Elliott, original drummer, played drums on Hot Blooded.  

Venue was packed. Around 5,500 to 6,000 attended this concert. Great to see Mick play half the set as well as Michael back playing keyboards. Mick started playing on Feels Like the First Time. Bruce played the entire set.

Rock cruise - Foreigner played three times on the cruise. First show was in a theatre type setting and was a great show. Mick played half the set. I noticed on Hot Blooded that Michael played bass while Jeff played keyboards.

Second show was crazy as it was very windy on the deck of the cruise ship that day (friday, January 11). I saw Bachman & Turner play at 4:45pm and Randy Bachman was saying it was tough to stand so I new it would be difficult when Foreigner when on next. Foreigner ended up shortening its show because the wind was around 30mph & the conditions were getting dangerous.

Third show was a acoustic show including question & answer session. All seven performers participated including Mick and Bruce. Was my first acoustic show and it was great. Better than I expected as I love the electric shows.

Saw Tom, Jeff, Chris Frazier (replaced Mark as drummer) & Bruce quite a bit all over the ship.

Met many Foreigner fans from all over the world as well as hung out with some fans I have attended Foreigner concerts with before.

Stuart
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:10:20 pm by aventuracane »

Babs

• Babs
Re: Hollywood, Fl - January 9 & Rock Legend Cruise January 10 -14
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:47:54 am »
Thanks so much for your review, Stuart!
Jeff and David called me after the show at the Hard Rock and told me a little bit about it. Best part was to hear that Mick is back - YAY !!!! My hopes that he'll also be in Germany in July are growing.
The cruise must have been awesome! Gina and Vera posted a few photos on facebook and also told us about the 'windy' show ... what a shame that they hat to shorten the set.
Good idea to also perform unplugged. I loved the show I have seen in Hamburg ... seems ages ago.
What about the fans? Did they behave? You might remember that in one of my previous posts I told you that I have read about all those drunks on these rock cruises.
Good to hear that you had a great time!
Babs

aventuracane

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:08:53 am »
Babs - there was a lot of drinking on the ship but I did not see any problems on the ship. There was around 3,000 fans on the ship and the ship is big. I did not see one incident do to drinking. I did see one woman fan stumble out of a concert and security helped take her back to her room.

I am definitely considering going back on this cruise next year. Just need to see what groups will be on the cruise next year.

What was really neat about this cruise was the interaction between fans and performers around the ship during the cruise. For example, a guy I met from Argentina talked to  Kelly while both were getting coffee. He also spoke to Mick while Mick was walking around the ship. I had similar experiences but it was with the Kansas lineup and with the wife of Kansas drummer.

Stuart

Tatjana

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:58 am »
Stuart: Thank you very much for posting. That must have been a very cool experience. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and that you had a few relaxing days apart from your busy business. :)

I have seen the photos which Gina has posted on facebook. They were superb. I was ever so happy to see Mick and Michael back on stage. I hope both feel as good as they look like.  :)

I have seen one of those unplugged shows and I really loved it.

Is it July yet? ;)

Tatjana :)

Tatjana

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:54:51 am »
Btw., a few regular posters of this board have stated that they can't log in anymore here respectively that they are having difficulties with signing in.
I'm not sure who is all involved but there are quite a few.
Maybe the web team can help them out? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tatjana :)

michellea

• FF#3
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:23 am »
Thank you for the post and review, Stuart! Glad you are doing well and having fun! I haven't seen anything much posted by the folks that I know that went, so I am glad to read your review. I should have accepted one of those invites by the gang to go on the cruise. I know I missed alot! :) Maybe things will improve and I can go next time.

Take care!
Michelle

aventuracane

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:45 am »
Want to add that in reading fans postings on facebook as well as the feedback after the concert that the Foreigner acoustic show was one of the top highlights of the performances on the cruise. The acoustic show is not totally acoustic as Michael was on keyboards & Jeff was plugged in on at least one song. Loved Mick & Kelly telling stories in between songs.

Stuart

aventuracane

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:45 am »
Babs, Tatjana & Michelle - I know for sure that all three of you rockers would have had a great time on the cruise. If you weren't in a concert you were at a photo op, meet & greet, question & answer session, waiting on line to get in a venue for your next concert talking to other passengers about music or walking around the ship trying to put a name to a face of a performer you are seeing walking near you or eating near you on the ship.

Stuart

aventuracane

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:45 am »
For those of you interested there are three video's of the acoustic concert on you tube (waiting for a girl like you, long, long way from home & jukebox hero). Just search for Foreigner Rock Legend Cruise.

Stuart
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:35:13 pm by aventuracane »

Rika

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »
Hi Stuart, thanks for  those awesome highlights. That must be a unique experience to be on a cruise with your favourite band...  8)
I was very happy to read that Mick is "back on board" again and that Dennis Elliot and Chris Frazier ( I know him from Whitesnake some years ago) were guest drummers.
I hope that Michael and Jeff get the chance to change their instruments in the Germany shows in July, too. It's great that this band is so multi-talented  :)  I love to listen to Jeff's piano in the acoustic version of Dokkens "Alone again".

Hugs, Rika

aventuracane

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »
Rika - Thanks for your comments. You are another music fan that would have loved the cruise and the interaction with the performers.

Stuart

ekelly51

• FF#2
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:25:15 pm »
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the wonderful review. I'm so glad you had a great time. Now I wished I would have gone. I get motion sickness so that is really a bummer. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading your reviews. Hope to see you again hopefully this year at another show. Maybe you can come to Cali.

Eunice ;)

aventuracane

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:50:50 pm »
Hi Eunice - You would have loved this cruise. Nonstop music for 3 & a half days. Cruise ship is huge so we did not feel the motion of the ocean much. I did see some fans wearing patchs to protect against motion sickness.

Would love to see you at a concert later this year. Will have to see where Foreigner is performing & whether I can travel at that time to see a concert.

Stuart

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 01:22:29 pm »
Such fun to read all your comments.
Stuart, it seems as if I have seen the worst case on TV ... a boat with only drunks. Good to hear that this was not the case during this cruise.
The photos of the band as well as of you, Gina, Jeff and David (and all the others) are wonderful! And your faces reflect the fun you had.
If 'our' boys ever go on a cruise again I will try to be part of it. Seems to be an experience one shouldn't miss.
Babs

Rika

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »
Babs, my hubby always tries to convince me to do a cruise with him - and until now I was not so thrilled at this idea . But THIS kind of cruise would definitely be mine...  8) 8) 8)