Author Topic: Nice german interview with Kelly + Mick  (Read 6434 times)

KillerQueen

Nice german interview with Kelly + Mick
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:10:35 am »
Prior to their concert today, Kelly and Mick have been interview. The transscription can be found at http://www.giessener-allgemeine.de/media/streifzug/2009_07/index.html (You have to scroll down 'til page 14)

Christina

Mercury87

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 03:46:47 pm »
Can someone provide a translation of the interview?

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:53:25 pm »
Hi Mercury87,
quite a long interview but I'll try my best.

Mr. Hansen, how's your tooth?
Kelly: (laughs) Well, everything is fine again.
We were surprised that you went to see a dentist. We thought Rocker rather cure their toothaches taking a big sip out of a whiskey bottle ...
Kelly: (laughs) No, no, it's not that bad. It was just a small check-up.
Do the legs of tough guys like you also turn to jelly when consulting a dentist?
Kelly: Sure, we're also sensitive. The best way to get over the fear is to consult the dentist regularly. That's what I do - and so I don't have any problems seeing him.
And you, Mr. Jones?
Mick: Well, I wouldn't touch any alcohol anyway. I don't drink at all.
Is there anything that really frightens you?
Kelly: I don't know .. no, there are not many things I'm frightened of. Well, losing my voice.
Meaning not being able to go on stage anymore?
Kelly: Yes ... and I'm also not afraid to be run over by a truck one day (laughs). But I don't spend too much time thinking about things which might happen. I rather concentrate on now and today. In ten minutes everything could be over.
Did you have a time in your life when you were frightened? We heard it was when you learnt to ride a bicycle?
Kelly: (laughs) Oh yes ... Behind our house there was a hill. One day my father took me up there, put me on a bicycle, pushed me all the way down shouting at me: use the pedals! The problem was: there were trees everywhere and I constantly hit them. But at the end of the day I knew how to ride a bicyle.
Mr. Jones, how did you learn to ride a bike?
Mick: I was five years old and always bumped into the bikes of my classmates. I really was a crazy biker.
They say that one never forgets to ride a bicycle. Does that also apply to singing and performing?
Mick: (laughs) Well, sometimes I forget a few things, but in general I'm quite good.
Your actual album is called 'No End In Sight' - is that a promise or a threat?
Kelly: Neither ... nor. It's a statement and people may interpret it as they like. But for us it really seems as if there is no end in sight because we always concentrate on what we are doing at the moment. As long as we have fun and people want to listen to our music they actually decide whether we go on or not. At the moment we are in the studio working on a new CD. So we're not thinking about an end, you see?
What can the fans expect of the new CD?
Kelly: Right now I can't say much about it because we're still in the middle of the production.  But it will be a Foreigner album which means that if you listen to the previous albums you have an idea of what to expect. There's a new song on the "No End In Sight" album called "Too late". It demonstrates where the band stands right now.
Mr. Jones, you've been with Foreigner since the very start. What has changed?
Mick: Obviously the members have changed (laughs). The songs outlasted the years. At the moment the band sounds just like the one in the late 70s and the new lineup is full of passion. During the last years we've been working very hard on it in the U.S. to make this band as popular as it once was. This lineup is the most dynamic one since the very beginning.
Kelly: In a life of a musician there are only few opportunities to get the chance to play in a band which really harmonizes. And we are really lucky that this is the case with the actual lineup of Foreigner.
Did you ever assume that you'll be in the spotlight for so many years?
Mick: No, not at all. I took it as the case may be and never thought that I'd survive 2 years. We had no idea what would happen to Foreigner. When I founded the band I had to make up my mind: to go on as a musician or look for a regular job.  Now - more that 30 years later - I think I've made the right decision.
Mr. Hansen, how did you feel when you joined the band in 2005? All of a sudden you've been part of this long lasting Foreigner-career.
Kelly: At first I had to concentrate on the things I had to do straight away. I only had five days to practice with the band before we went on stage for the first time. If you join a band like Foreigner you have to be aware of it that many things in your life will change. For many years I haven't been on the road that much, all of a sudden I had to get someone to take care of e.g. my house, my finances. I had to have an outfit, know all the songs, have my passport ready at all times. One day you're at home doing your thing and the next day you're part of this band. That's like a rocket launch.
How does it feel to sing famous songs which have been sung by other musicians?
Kelly: No. In a band the lineup changes constantly. It was important to me that the songs remain original. They are all great songs which don't need any changes. I sing them the way people know them. We play them the way they should be performed. Yes, I sing famous songs having been sung by others but right now I'm the singer in the band.
What may visitors of the concert in Giessen expect? Is there anything else but memories of the old times?
Kelly: We will perform our greatest hits without looking back. We don't try to be the way we were. It's going to be a show full of energy, we love it to involve the audience, and we'll not just stand there and play the songs which are 30 years old.
How's the audience like?
Kelly: When we are playing it's almost always the same: some people see us for the first time, others have seen us about 20 times. The feedback of the audience has always been positive - no matter of age. Which means a lot to us. We always give our very best.
How do you manage to inspire the young ones?
Kelly: I think many parents take their kids to Foreigner, or they know us from video games like "Guitar Hero" or from film soundtracks. We've seen twelve year old kids singing along with us knowing all the lyrics. It just happens.
Foreigner songs are known all over the world. If they were new ones would they just be as successful nowadays?
Kelly: Well, they're great songs. I don't think about it if they would be hits being published today. I don't know, I haven't got a clue. I only know that they are great songs! If you want a hit you need a good song. And as our songs are covered so often they must be good ones.
Do you think that all the cover versions could be the reason for your big success nowadays? "Cold As Ice" has been covered by MOP, Mariah Carey is producing a new version of "I Want To Know What Love is", a dance version of "Urgent" has been very successful lately ...?
Kelly: I don't know. I would rather say that the listener doesn't even know that it's a cover version.
Have you ever heard the "Urgent" cover version?
Kelly: I've heard many versions, especially of "I Want To Know What Love Is". If you search for it on iTunes you find various versions, Reggae, classical ones, everything. Even disco dance versions.
Did you ever dance to one of them?
Mick: Only with my mother.
And you?
Kelly: (laughs) No, I'm not a dancer.
Can you give us an idea how life of - carefully expressed - elderly rockstars looks like?
Kelly: My biggest problem is to organize everything. We have a very tight schedule and a show nearly every day. You have to travel, give interviews, have to be here and there. So you need a lot of suitcases. After a show you might have to catch a private jet to get to the next one. But you can't take everything in a private jet. So I have to think about what to pack in my small suitcase. It's a nightmare!
Mick: Well, musicians of the 70s and 80s have had a more exciting time.
Do you demolish hotel rooms?
Mick: Actually not, only when it stinks.
(Marc Schäfer/Martin Vogel)

Well, this is what has been printed in the Giessen magazine. Whether Mick or Kelly really have said these things - who knows. Some German expressions are so weired that I doubt they understood everything the boys said.
So: Mick, Kelly, sorry if some of your answers might sound strange to you! I just translated ....
Cheers!
Babs

SevenSeasOfRhye

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »
:biggrin: Thank you so much for translation Babs
That really help us.
Great interview. Thanks again    Emiko :laugh:

Mercury87

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:35:20 pm »
Thank you very much for your effort and time to translate the interview.

ekelly51

• FF#2
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:49:18 pm »
Thank you so much for the translation Babs. Sure appreciate it. Very nice interview.Enjoyed it. :excl::excl::excl::biggrin:

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:47:28 am »
Hi all - you're very welcome!
Babs

KillerQueen

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:21:20 am »
Thanks so much for translating, Babs. :excl: I didn't have the time to do it.

Christina

SoUrgent

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 04:46:45 pm »
Babs, thank you SOOOO much for taking the time to translate the article. It was a great read. Thanks again!

Nick

southbeachnites

• WP's Baby!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:41 pm »
Thanks for the link Christina and Babs, YOU ROCK for the translation!

Keep it music~
Foreigner music that is!

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:26:32 pm »
Hi Babs, I just saw this, missed it the first time...great interview!!  and Kelly's dry humor is ever present lol!

ednbutlr

• Newbie Member
Re: Nice german interview with Kelly + Mick
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:02:13 am »
They sound very much at ease. It was interesting to read that interview. Although I am not their huge fan but I like reading celebrity news and interviews.

tv show casts
Eden A buttler