Author Topic: whats the latest with Mick  (Read 1449 times)

alexaki

• Newbie Member
whats the latest with Mick
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:51:36 am »
Does he still play on tour?..will he ever play full time? or just make the odd cameo?...shame the band has not made any formal announcement for the fans

SU_5757

Re: whats the latest with Mick
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 04:49:57 pm »
Based solely on my personal observations, it looks like Mick is performing to the extent he feels his health can handle.  He did about the last half of the set list for a few shows this spring which were clustered both in dates and travel distance.  It was great to see him playing again.  Last night the heat and humidity in the venue was brutal on the band, because it was awful enough in the audience.  I would have been worried for Mick if he attempted something like that.  When health issues are dictating your decisions, you usually can't plan for the future as much as you'd need to make announcements except at the last minute.  I think he is making smart choices with the comfort of knowing that the band is capable of a great show despite his absences.  I'd prefer to hear nothing at all than to hear the message which we don't want to hear.

Starrider81

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:00:31 pm »
alexaki .... great question!! I'm glad I'm NOT the one to ask it!! I'm glad to hear that Mick is feeling better and playing in some the sets but reality is MICK is THE ONLY TRUE ORIGINAL MEMBER OF FOREIGNER and without him (plug your ears) they would be just a cover/tribute band!!! Oh I forgot Tom Gimbal is the only other long standing member from 1995 but outside that the rest is just a (plug your ears!!!) a cover/tribute band imo!! lolol But, hey I'm going to be nice and polite and I wouldn't mind seeing Foreigner one last time as long as Mick is still on board and no subsitute guitarists that I never heard of!! lol

SU_5757

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:21:18 pm »
Here's a little mystery pondering of my life...
Why does a band have to change into a cover/ tribute  (A.K.A-second rate act, it seems) just because all founding members are gone?  In reality, long standing band rosters take fans (usually with kicking, screaming, crying and arguing of for better or for the worse) thru changes which are commonly accepted as part of fan-dom with professional sports? Or is the NFL, NBA, etc just a bunch of "cover" teams?
If the quality and professional standards of the new guys keep the legacy alive, I want my teams to keep playing!

Starrider81

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:59 am »
Interesting to ponder .....

Okay, Let's say (hypothetically)  Paul McCartney decides to "reunite" the Beatles ....Ringo disgrees with it and goes on touring with his Ringo Star Allstar Band. However, Paul wants to go on and try to "reunite" The Beatles, hires like 3 studio musicans to sub as John, George and Ringo, and wala!! he goes on touring as the NEW BEATLES!!! Now would you still call the Beatles or a cover/tribute band of The Beatles with one orig member...

Just saying but that's how I see Foreigner right now, ok?

dpell

• Newbie Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:23:11 am »
I attended their show in May at Foxwoods in CT.  Mick was there and played mostly the entire show resting a few times, of course he was fantastic.  His health seems to be affecting him at times, probably some good day and some bad days.  We're not getting any younger. I also went to the show June 27th in Newport, RI, Mick was not there but the band sounded just as good. As far as the band morphing into a quazi Foreigner, most of the bands from the 70's and  80's don't have all of the original members, life's just not that perfect. They are all great experienced musicians and sound as if they have been playing together all along and put on a great show.  I would rather the older bands keep playing , even without all original members as long as they sound the same and give you a great entertainment experience.  Most do!  I attend about 20 concerts per year and have few complaints about the bands members not being as good as the original members.  I'm there for the music!!!!!

Kathie

• Newbie Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:48 am »
I was at the Hampton Beach show. Absolute fact that the heat and humidity was killer. I was disappointed Mick wasn't there, but not disappointed in the quality of the show, not at all. I would like to be able to go to maybe this site or the band's Facebook page or somewhere, and be able to find a little information about the guitarist who played in Mick's place. I understand not wanting to make it appear that Mick is being replaced on the tour, but he could be listed as an "additional musician" or whatever. What is his name anyway? Kelly did introduce him, but I couldn't make it out. Best wishes to Mick - he needs to do what is best for his health!

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 02:34:07 pm »
He's Bruce Watson, Kathie.

Starrider81

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »
never heard of him before he started subbing for Mick .... but more power to the guy!!

Right now that like the #1 issue that is bugging me about Foreigner right now that if something lord forbid ever happens to Mick ... rest of those guys would be touring under the name Foreigner, and NOT to open up old wounds but Lou was right when awhile ago seeing Foreigner perform without the original members under the name Foreigner IS false advertisement ... but like the story about the Empeoror and his new clothes I'm sure there will still be followers no matter how naked they appear!! lol :D

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:29 am »
Oh c'mon Owen ... just shut up. It's so boring to read your 'copy and paste' comments ...

Starrider81

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:27:31 am »
You know what Babs why don't U Shut up!! This is an open forum and I believe I'm entitled to state whatever I want to say about this band good or bad!! I WILL allways be a fan of Foreigner and the music they made but I can't dumbly pay $$$ to see a once awesome rockgroup with NO original members playing songs that I love and I know there are ppl that share that view but I know this message board is sooo bias and one sided it's not even funny...and oh yeah, Lou Gramm the guy you were kissing up with Mick Jones a couple weeks ago at the SHOF celebration...I REMEMBER HE EVEN SAYS THAT THIS NEW FOREIGNER WAS LIKE FALSE ADVERTISING!! I know this is Mick's band and Foreigner is his baby but I really do wish for his die-hard Foreigner fans he would just retire the band and enjoy the royalities and settle down. He really should consider his health.

Oh I never did get my answer to where was Kelly the night of the SHOF === probably praying he doesn't wind up like Johnny Edwards!!! lol Ooooh juuuust kiddding!!!

You people need get a life cus I don't think Foreigner will be around that long to be honest! Next week I'm going to see the Eagles WITH ALL ORIGINAL MEMBERS!!!!!!!! WOW!! WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!

dpell

• Newbie Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:55:39 am »
Sorry Owen, Bab is right.  I'm glad your going to see The Eagles, it's amazing their still all together, go praise them on their site.  I'm happy to see there are people who can get along in music and business for 40 years, it's RARE.  It depends on the band also. I went to see Heart last night, the music was pretty good but the show was lackluster, the crowd did'nt seem to feel the music.  Foreigner shows are full of energy and great music, everyone was up and enjoying the feeling of the moment. We are free to enjoy any music we enjoy.  If you don't go to a Foreigner show you have no basis for your critic of the band other than their not original members, live with it.