Author Topic: Emmendingen, Schlossplatz, July 20  (Read 1188 times)

Rika

Emmendingen, Schlossplatz, July 20
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:31:43 pm »
Emmendingen was the third show of our band in Germany - I had intended to visit the first two concerts in Rosenheim and Rheinbach also, but my son's confirmation exactly was at the Rheinbach date and so I had to quit those plans.

So  I drove to Emmendingen in the black forest on July 20,  a very hot and sunny Saturday  - 4 hours on the highway, fortunately without big traffic jams.

I was completely happy to meet Babs and my American concert buddies Jeff and David at their little hotel . After a first big hug Jeff handed me my beautiful GGIII - tag, green and with round pics of all the band-members - and , of course , with my name on it.
We headed to Emmendingen in Babs' little yellow "Limoncito" which brought us girls through Germany back in 2009 and really has deserved to be called the "Foreigner-fan-tourbus". It still was freaking hot when we arrived in Emmendingen at half past five. This little town is beautiful with medieval houses and small water channels in the streets. The venue was the yard of the castle - how awesome!
Only a few people already queued at the entrance - thank god this place was totally in the shadow. The hour waiting-time passed by very fast - we talked a lot and my friends informed me about the two shows they had seen . The best anecdote was David's very "physical" description of a  woman swooning for Kelly and trying to touch him while she really was touching ( or should I say pressurizing) David  :o :o :o
Finally the security guys let us in and thanks to Jeff, our sprinter, we got a place  front-row center. We cooled our thirsty throats with a fresh beer and talked a little with a nice couple from Augsburg, my former home-town.
Our anticipation grew when we saw Josh, Eddie, Lorenzo and all the other guys working on stage and a first highlight was Michael who came to prepare his keyboards. It was  awesome to see him healthy and well-recovered after the hard times he went through. I couldn't resist to shout his name and was so proud and happy when he called my name back and waved to me  ;D ;D ;D

The opening-act "Errorhead" had already played at Rheinbach. They focussed way too much on their guitar-player who always made gestures and mimics like a maniac. I don't like musicians when they  stand and play with a poker-face but this guy was overdoing his show  ::)

The pause after the opening-act was not really long, both crews worked together well.

Our tension was growing and growing - and then, finally , Foreigners opening tune was played. "It always gives me chills," Jeff said to me - yes, indeed, bro !
 I always love the two first songs, DV and HG, and couldn't do enough handclapping, singing along and watching the boys perform.  I specially put my view on the two "new" members , Bruce Watson and Chris Frazier : A guitarist with a super-sympathetic beaming smile and a powerful drummer (  I saw Chris the second time, he played with Whitesnake at the concert in Munich I attended a few years ago).
CAI and WFAGLY were also very special  with Tommy at the key - a fourth instrument our multi-instrumentalist plays on stage ( ok, this evening we missed the flute  :'()
The next highlight was that Mick joined the band right after the fourth song - my friends had told me that but I was a bit sceptical if this would happen in Emmendingen too. But when Kelly announced " a surprise" for us , "the architect of Foreigner" I knew that we'd be lucky today also . The whole croud screamed when Mick , smiling and in best form, rushed onto the stage and played the first chords of DWB  8)
What I really enjoyed was the little acoustic section with a super-awesome WICTL and one of my all-time-favs, the acoustic version of SYW , arranged by Mr Jeff Pilson. I'll never forget how I first listened to it in 2007 on the Tollwood-Festival at Munich, were the whole big tent sang and sang. This time at Emmendingen the whole crowd also sang very well ( the inhabitants of Baden-Wuerttemberg are famous for their singing-passion ). Speaking of Jeff I needn't say that he one more time  did his very best sprinting up and down the stage, rocking with body and soul and - of course - headbanging ...

What shall I say ? We had such a good time cheering and singing... especially Jeff and I had fun fun fun singing and acting together. 

Now it's half past midnite here and I'm only half through with my long epistle - I'll write the second half another time ...

Bye 4 now
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:39:18 pm by Rika »

Babs

• Babs
Re: Emmendingen, Schlossplatz, July 20
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:17:07 am »
Wow - such a great review, Rika! Thanks so much for taking your time  :-*
It was ever so nice seeing you again after quite some time and I can only agree to all you said.
Small info: our German word 'sympathisch' cannot be translated literally, in English 'sympathetic' it has a slightly different meaning. What you meant to say was that Bruce has a super-likdable smile  :)
As you said: it was really a very beautiful venue, the crowd was tearing down the house by singing along, and one could notice that the band was more than just happy about it.
Their performance was brilliant as always and we all had a wonderful time!
I love it when you and Jeff are following up your habit of counting 'Eins-Zwei - Eins-Zwei-Drei-Vier'
(1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4) when they start playing Hot Blooded - that's your 'thang'  ;D
Hugzzz to you, Rika! And again: awesome review.

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:26:02 pm »
Oh Rika such an awesome review and recollect of detail! While ot hadn't been that long since we had seen each other, when I was visiting Babs in December and you came for the weekend - it was so much fun to be at a FOREIGNER show together again!  You and Tatjana have been my "Head Banging" sisters for so long now, and yours and my routine of 1-2-1-2-3-4 at the beginning of HB is just so very special. We all have something so very special we share together and we owe it all to one very special person - MR. MICK JOOOOOOOOOOOOONES!!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:28:42 pm by Jeffistheirbiggestfan »

Rika

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:54:47 pm »
Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies. Babs, you helped me out with the correct word  ;) thank you, sista ! Bruce is such a nice guy , he will forgive me mixing up German and English words  :-*
Jeff, yes, our headbanging habits always are fav moments for me!   8) ;D :-*
The relaxed day with the three of you in Freiburg was wonderful - even though Jeff had to kiss a fish instead of a frog  ;)

Tatjana meanwhile has written a wonderful review of the show in Biberach - it contains nearly everything I wanted to add to this review and I recommand it to everyone here in the forum  :)

The only thing I have to add is the pleasure I had seeing Michael play bass on HB ( and vice versa seeing Jeff play keys: He did it with Dokken and it is pure joy to see how many multi-instrumentalists play in this band). HB always is a party and with this "instrument change" it was double fun - for us fans AND the band !

ekelly51

• FF#2
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:33:29 pm »
Hi Rika- what a great review and thanks for sharing as well.
You guys makes us feel like we were there with you.
Someday I will make it to Germany. It would be great to meet all of you!!
Thanks again!
Eunice ;D