Author Topic: Foreigner review Biberach, the 28th of July 2013  (Read 1188 times)

Tatjana

Foreigner review Biberach, the 28th of July 2013
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »
Some of the best things in life come unexpectedly and so I was in due to receive an unexpected gift on Sunday, the 28th of July because I was able to go to the Foreigner show in Biberach.
I was kind of sad that the gig in Rheinbach on July the 19th was supposed to be my one and only Foreigner show for this year. Don’t get me wrong. I was totally happy to be there but hey, once is never enough when it comes about Foreigner gigs. ;) Besides, Rheinbach left me with a bit of a sore taste. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Babs, Jeff and David again I have to say that the sound wasn’t really good and that put a cast on the entire show. At least for me. I know, I shouldn’t be overly fussy but heck, I’m a spoiled brat! I’m so used to a stellar Foreigner sound that I don t want to put up with anything less. Besides, my astrological sign is Virgo so „fusspot“is practically my middle name. ;)
Well, how did it come that I could make this trip? We had planned to spend our summer vacation in Bavaria and shortly before we departed it dawned on me that Biberach was only about 1 ½ hours away from Rika’s home and that our vacation apartment was only 1 ½ hours away from Rika. To make a long story short: After a few phone calls it was clear that we would meet up at Rika’s, drive to Biberach and meet up with Bärbel over there.
This country only knows two kinds of temperatures: It is either sweltering hot or butt-freezing cold and since it is July we were in for sweltering hot. Both our GPS systems had given up the ghost so we had to make do with a Google maps print instead.

There was a lot of road maintenance work so we arrived at our destination a little later than expected.
Bärbel and Bernd were already there and much to our surprise also Alex had found his way there and later on Celine showed up too. We hadn’t seen each other since ages so this was a most welcome surprise. :-)
The weather became treacherous. There had been quite a few weather warning and every now and then we took a skeptical look at the sky and saw quite a few dark clouds.
The concert venue itself was the market place of Biberach. It was really a lovely and scenic place framed from those beautiful old houses.

The support act “Mother’s Finest” started their set at about 7.00 pm. I like soul and funk so their performance was most definitely fine with me. Apparently the audience agreed with me because I saw lots of dancing and cheering people and when they played their biggest hit “Baby Love” everybody was up and dancing.

When their set was finished the crew started the stage reconstruction. I would like to thank the boys from the crew for the awesome job they are doing every day. Everything runs smoothly and they have a large share that we fans can enjoy the shows the way we do.
 After that little break at around 8:30 pm Foreigner entered the sage and started their show with one of my favourite Foreigner songs “DV”. You only need to hear the first chords to know that you’re in for a treat! Kelly said to the audience: “I have news for you! It is going to rain! But we’re gonna fucking rock anyways!” And that was what they did!
They continued with “HG”, “CAI” and “WFAGLY”.  And then Kelly announced that the original “DWB”, the leader and founder and architect of Foreigner would be back at the helm. “Please welcome Mr. Mick Joooooooooones!” Wooohoooo!!
Mick is back where he belongs. On stage! And boy! He is wielding the axe like he always did. YOWZA!!
After “DWB” they did two beautiful acoustic versions of “WICTL” and “SYW”. I love acoustic sets because they showcase all of that brilliant talent on stage.
They then continued with “FLTFT”.
“TWY” was the song that drew me to their music in the first place and to this day this hauntingly beautiful ballad remains to be one of my all-time favourite songs.
They continued with the ever so rousing “Urgent”. Rika and I swapped the spots with Bernd and Bärbel who were so kind to let us into the first row for that song. “Rocking Rika” and I rocked our hearts out!  :-D
Michael did his splendid keyboard wiz solo and then Chris banged away on his drum kit with his solo before kicking in to play “JBH”. Luckily the place was open-air because if it had had a roof it would have been blown away lately at this point in time!

Oh, by the way, it stayed dry the entire evening. Only a few rain drops came down and they provided a much anticipated cooling off.  I believe the weather God is a Foreigner fan! :-D

Like always the show was over too quickly and they ended their performance with “LLWFH” (another all-time favourite of mine), “IWTKWLI” and “HB” on which Michael took over to play Jeff’s bass.

It was so good to hear Mick introducing the band. Something he hadn’t done in Rheinbach.

The entire band was on top of their game. Bruce who started as a fill-in for Mick during his illness and who became so much more than a mere substitute because he was able to play himself quickly into the hearts of the Foreigner fans, Chris who is an outstanding drummer, Michael who is thankfully back again after his serious disease, Jeff who is not only a fantastic bass player but also a great arranger and fine singer, Tommy who isn’t only splendid guitar player but also does the best fucking sax solo of all times and of course Mick who is, was an will always be my favourite guitar player of all times! But the man of the night, however, was lead singer Kelly Hansen! He always gives 100 percent and then some! But that night he outdid himself. I can honestly say that this was one of his best performances I ever witnessed. Boy! Did he hit some high-pitched notes! Awesome!

If anybody would have told me years ago that I’d ever accept anybody else fronting this band other than Lou Gramm I would have laughed right into their faces. This concert was one of the reasons why it was so easy for me to accept him. He has a great set of pipes and he does justice to the songs. He delivers the goods and is also an energetic and charismatic front man. And as an added bonus he is also one helluva nice guy. Did I say I accept him? Heck! I love him!!!!

If there are still people out there who are reluctant about visiting a Foreigner show because Lou isn’t with them anymore then please do yourself a favour and go to one of their concerts. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
I’m a Foreigner fan since the tender age of 13 so you better believe me! I know what I’m talking about!

Tatjana :)

Babs

• Babs
Re: Foreigner review Biberach, the 28th of July 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
Oh my - what a great review! As I've seen Alex last Friday and Bärbel on Saturday I've been told by them how very awesome the show was. I bet it also had an influence on the band to play in such a beautiful village. Bärbel told me that people were not only leaning out of their windows to listen but also standing on to of the roofs. What a sight this must have been for them!
You described each one of the members  and the crew so very well, Tatjana! I so enjoyed reading your lines.
Thanks for taking the time, very much appreciated! Needless to say how happy I am for you guys that you could enjoy another show together.
Until next time ... can't wait!

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:44:56 pm »
Tatjana - it was so great getting to see you again on the 19th! Am so glad you got to make another show and with Rika!  Had a great time with Rika on the 20th and then the excursion the next day along with Babs and David in Freiburg.
You're review is outstanding and so appreciated! Writing from an airplane coming back from Atlanta. Had a heartwarming and reflective weekend with my 1.1 family after the loss of the man I considered my father. My brother William's daughters who went to the show with us on 31Aug were still talking it up and can't wait for the boys to come back. Uncle Jeff has turned them into FOREIGNER fans!
On to comment on the next review. So love Inflight Wifi! Really helps make the flight go by fast!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:48:54 pm by Jeffistheirbiggestfan »

SU_5757

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:57:52 am »
Did Starrider ever make the set list? I keep hoping for its return .

Rika

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:41:45 pm »
Tatjana, thank you soooo much for this wonderful review that brings back so many memories of our fantastic common concert in Biberach. And heck, your English is great - I'm flashed each time I read one of your most welcome "long epistles"  :-*
Yes, the people in the windows and even on the rooftops were the "cream on the cake"  ;D :) ;D
I wonder if Kelly was able to speak one word after this outstanding show - he sang his heart and lungs away ! Unbelievable !
Probably we have to wait a little longer until Mick takes us to the stars again - but the joy to see him on stage with his guitar from song #5 on is a great gift and we should be happy and thankful for this.

ekelly51

• FF#2
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »
Wow!! What a great review Tatjana.  Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Someday I will make it to Germany. By the way, it's nice to know that we have something in common other than loving our Boys. I'm also a Virgo.
Again, thank you for the great review ;D

Eunice :)