Author Topic: Foreigner Defibs Rock N Roll: Arena Theater Houston  (Read 1271 times)

girllikeme

• Newbie Member
Foreigner Defibs Rock N Roll: Arena Theater Houston
« on: September 14, 2013, 08:12:12 am »
In the medical field, we call it "defibrillation" when you shock a heart that has stopped and get it beating again. Well, that's exactly what Foreigner did last night at Arena Theater when they raised rock n roll from the grave. Many bands of the 70's have become stale, bloated and complacent; resting on their laurels and allowing the name to carry them.  NOT FOREIGNER!!!  From stage entrance to loading up the bus, these talented men and their crew bring energy, vibrancy, showmanship and passion with every stroke of the guitar and keyboard, every thump of the bass, every vocal note, every drum beat, and honk of the sax.  Their reproductions of the tunes we loved as teens and are passed down to our children grow sweeter with age.  For one night, I felt 18 again dancing in the isles instead of being forced by some menacing usher with STAFF written on his back telling me to SIT DOWN!  Kelly Hansen clarified those rules from the get-go when he commanded the audience to "get up off your ass."  Thank God too! The music was so good, I would have gotten up off my ass anyway and danced in the lobby if I'd had to!  I was very impressed with the musical multitasking of Tom Gimbel, a gentleman whom my husband had the privilege of phone interviewing for our music magazine that I also write for.  His sax solo in Urgent was sexy and spot-on, guitar and flute as well.  What a talent! I cannot even begin to say enough about the vocal and choreographic dynamics of Kelly Hanson.  How he holds a screaming note while "chair hopping" throughout the audience and still has energy after the show to sign autographs and take pictures after the show, has my head spinning.  I have left out so many things and didn't write about the other musicians but I just looked at the time and have to run to ballet class.  I will be SURE to mention each one in my All Access Music News review. Love love LOVE you Foreigner.  You ARE  RocknRoll. Thank you so much for coming to Houston last night.  Hurry back soon!--
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:20:56 pm by girllikeme »

Kimsim

• Newbie Member
Re: Foreigner Defibs Rock N Roll: Arena Theater Houston
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:21:54 pm »
WOW! What a review.  What a concert. Enjoyed reading it.  Thank you.

girllikeme

• Newbie Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »
 :)Thank YOU, Kim.  Weren't you there last night? Were you the lady I talked with after the show about the well-endowed exhibitionist in the front row?  I think she must have been the real chic in the Hot Blooded song, only 30 years ago.  Tee hee.
Yes, I just can't say enough about Foreigner.  As a music writer, I have had to force myself at times to write complimentary prose about a band I'm reviewing (I won't say who---bad for business).  Foreigner makes my job EASY!!!  I had such a great time last night as well.  Hope I didn't make too big a fool of myself dancing in the isles with reckless abandon.

Kimsim

• Newbie Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 04:24:52 pm »
No it wasn't  me sorry.  Good luck with the music writing and I look forward to reading another of your Foreigner reviews. ;D

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50:56 am »
Great review! Thanks so much, girllikeme.
This band kicks a** every night - absolutely amazing musicians. I've been to 9 shows here in Germany, never can get enough !!!

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:12:13 pm »
Wish I could have been at this one since it's just down the road in Houston, but so very grateful the show in Arlington was so freakin' close to my place! Babs was with me 2 years ago down in Houston for the show back then!

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:41:18 am »
And I'll never forget this great trip! Houston and Dallas - sightseeing in San Antonio! Good times!!!

dballard777

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:14:02 pm »
Outstanding expression of how excellent the show was!  Although I am a native Houstonian, and worked at the Summit as a floor usherette here in the early 80s, I had never been to the Arena Theater.  How lucky we were to see Foreigner in that circular venue, a sold out show.  Was on the 4th row (happily standing and dancing the entire show like everyone else) so got to make contact with Kelly on his chair walk.   Because of the design, it seemed the artists could really connect with us, the audience, fans.  The energy they brought to us was perfect.  They were so good - suspect all of the shows are equally thrilling.  I too felt like I had stepped back in time to days that are dearly missed.    While, we  are still as young inside (and out  like Foreigner!),  was pleased to be sitting next to some younger rock fans.  We had  a really great time together - they want more!   Growing up in Houston, working the shows and attending so many, I have seen many legendary rock artists, up close and often with backstage access.  Have seen more than most simply out of luck (just doing my job at the time).  Not to diminish the excellence of other legends that have graced Houston, I must say, Foreigner  you are now in a class of your own, transcending the historical impact of your music.   I still have stars in my eyes, and wish I could break free  to travel to see the show again.   Would do it in a heartbeat if I could.   Hope to meet you in person some day.  Already had most the  music, and do love Juke Box Heroes CD.   Am really appreciative of  how Foreigner contributed to our military heroes through the tour here.   Thank you, Foreigner, for bringing it back - really wish I could see every show!