Author Topic: My first time front row is now on YouTube!!!  (Read 703 times)

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
My first time front row is now on YouTube!!!
« on: December 14, 2013, 10:32:57 am »
I've talked many times about my first time front row, Friday, November 8, 1985 at Dallas Reunion Arena. This show was broadcast live nationwide on Westwood One Radio Network and locally (here in Fort Worth-Dallas) on radio station Q102. A friend recorded it for me but that tape was lost long ago. I did get a recording of a triple shot Q102 did of COA, JBH and URGENT that I was able to convert to a CD but the quality wasn't that great because the source tape was so old and worn out, but at least I had it! It was such a great show and that I was able to be front row....

One night this past July in Germany I was talking to Mick about that show and he really remembered it because it was recorded. In a conversation with Dennis, he remembered it as well, remembering how loud the crowd was!

From time to time, I will scour YouTube to see if anything from that show has been posted. It is absolutely amazing all the stuff that shows up on YouTube.

Well, last month when I was at David's house, we were scouring YouTube, and low an behold, there was the entire show!!! No video, just the audio, but there it was! And here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-mClBFUsw

I was right in front of Mick and from time to time bits of my voice can be heard.

I think I've told this story before, but I will tell it again, because NOW you can relive that moment with me! I kind of knew the set list because a recording of the Paris show that summer had been played on Q102. They had just finished up "Reaction To Action" and, from the Paris show, I was expecting "Tooth and Nail" to be next. At 1:02:50 Lou screams out "We ain't fooling around here, we ain't fooling around...." ... at 1:02:55 you can hear my brother (who was with me at the show) scream out ... at this point, I'm looking right into Mick's eyes screaming "Tooth and Nail, Tooth and Nail" and you can just make it out! Mick was looking back at me with that "Mick-Grin" we all know...then he started playing the opening chords to URGENT and started laughing a bit when he saw my eyes popping out of my head! He didn't know then but he knows now how URGENT is my favorite song of all time!

There's another story from that show I've never posted before. Early on in the show I was apparently pissing Lou off a bit yelling out the songs before they started playing...at 10:04 Lou starts saying, "Now we'll go back, this one's from the Foreigner album, that's our very first album....uhhh...." I'm screaming out "Cold As Ice" and he's looking down at me and with not the friendliest of looks on his face...note the tone in the "uhhh"....then he goes on to say, "This one's one I know you know...." (notice the pause and the tone in his voice) "...so I won't bother to tell you what it is...you'll recognize it..."  This little snippet of time, a mere 11 seconds of time, is one that I remember so vividly, and now through the magic of YouTube, is a moment I can share with you!!!

JimmyC

• Newbie Member
Re: My first time front row is now on YouTube!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:32:14 am »
Jeff, a few thoughts of mine about this show. Was a student at Ithaca College when this concert took place and knowing that it was getting national airplay, got a friend to do me a favor and let me in a radio station (WVBR, I think) with a tape deck to listen to and record it. Am also familiar with the Paris show where I thought Lou's vocals were much better.  He sounded a little worn out from the road to me in Dallas.  That said, very much enjoyed the saxophone arrangement of Cold As Ice, hearing Down on Love, and my favorite was Mick's guitar solo on Stranger in My Own House. That blew me away at the time. Still sounds good.  Interesting to hear your details of actually being there. JC

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 06:51:39 am »
So love to read your stories, Jeff! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome experiences with us  :-*

Jeffistheirbiggestfan

• It's URGENT! Make it an EMERGENCY!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21:40 pm »
Jimmy - about "Down on Love"...that song was a local hit here in the Fort Worth - Dallas area. It's cut on the above recording, but Rick Wills introduced the song, saying this was the first time it had been played, and they were playing it because it was a local hit here...

That Paris show is on YouTube also, at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-lugbIpWkA&list=TL-KvDBABG4_isCvYistyXwDacVh5hGc6I
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:27:04 pm by Jeffistheirbiggestfan »

foreignerfan1968

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:33:54 pm »
You are creepy my friend

jimzgirl

• Newbie Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »
So fun for you to have found that Jeff!  The sound quality is pretty darn good, too.   :D

Starrider81

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:51:46 pm »
okay so Jeff I'm reading your review from your FIRST EVER Foreigner concert and ahhh you don't even bring up Lou Gramm's name what's a matter afraid you might insite a riot on the message board from Pro-Kelly Hanson fan lovers or can't admit that LOU GRAMM WAS THE TRUE ROCK VOICE AND SOUND OF FOREIGNER???? You'ere such a minion!!