Author Topic: Portland, ME 18Feb14  (Read 1753 times)

SU_5757

Portland, ME 18Feb14
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:13:28 am »
For Which ever name applies now-
1.  Despite the long winded ranting on band misrepresentation and Kelly's 2nd rate vocals,  I did not hear any marketing for show with Lou's vocal.  In fact the displayed promo featured a pic of Kelly.   I would love to actually hear true evidence of your complaint.
2.  Sold Out Show was reported by TM, venue (direct website and notice hanging at box office) as well as this site.  Couldn't buy a ticket, yes it was a sold out show
3. Contrary to an interpretation of a FB post,  Mick remains absent.  I heard one comment about this at the show from an individual who whined about the only founding member not being there.  It started to sound familiar but then he tossed out a name I've never heard of. Couldn't muster enough sympathy to even correct him.  For the casual fan , this just doesn't seem to matter when they hear the expected songs performed so well.

With that out of the way...
7.6 inches of snow and street parking ban didn't deter the winter- weary crowd.  Kelly asked us to strip down to our bottom layer and promised to warm us up and that he did.  The theater had a bar in back which was within the venue, (not part of a lobby area) which was posted to be closed during the performance per the artist's request.  It was a good thing the bartender didn't wander far since Kelly managed to get served a drink during his first audience venture. No lines. No waiting .  Was that the plan? The band rocked the house throughout the set list of hits.  Just loved to see Jeff hand over his bass, head back to the keyboard and give Mike some additional visibility down front.  The talent of this group gets me at every show.  Watch out Mr Multi- instrumentalist Tom! The others may have seen a challenge.   Hoping Mick is healthy enough for the summer tour and beyond.  Still hoping for one more Starrider from Mick and know it wont happen during a combined band show.  Bruce is great but those are giant footsteps to step into. Mick is loved and missed. Had an terrific night, experienced a girl's lucky once in a lifetime moment with Kelly during "Waiting for a..."and had  so much fun just lovin every minute as the songs flew by that I was amazed to discover a Pilson pick sitting on my sweater at the show's close. Foreigner heated things up long enough to drive the storm away....Well at least for a few hours.   Moon, stars  and memories waiting upon departure.  Keep on rock'in, safe travels and many many returns!

Tatjana

Re: Portland, ME 18Feb14
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:34:35 pm »
 Great review! Thanks for sharing and glad to  hear you and the other concert goers had fun!

Tatjana :)

SoUrgent

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 03:43:26 pm »
Terrific review!

I think, based upon last year, as Mick is getting up there in age, he will be performing every couple of shows, or make an appearance half way through select shows per month. That seemed to be the trend last year as he was recovering from his heart issue. Personally, if I were going to the show, a part of me says that I would like to know if he is going to be there (I would go regardless as I love Foreigner, but Mick just brings something so special), however a part of me also wouldn't want to know because I like surprises. I would love to hear in between songs Kelly introduce Mick, and then the whole dang HOUSE comes down, or Mick just magically walks onto the stage with his guitar and starts wailing! lol.

If I understood you correctly, regarding Starrider, I can say with 100% confidence that that song would not be performed unless Mick was on stage. That is HIS baby.

Lastly, don't discount the Soundtrack of Summer tour... In 2011 when they came to The Susquehanna Bank Center in Philly (Camden, NJ technically, but NO ONE wants to reference the murder capital of the east coast, lol), Mick performed Starrider and it was magical. I also believe that was his final show before he took his leave of absense due to health.

So maybe our Starrider dreams will come true this summer, assuming Mick is on stage for some of the SOS tour....... (crosses fingers....)

Nick

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:43:27 am »
Loved reading your review - thanks!
Starrider - one of my favourite songs as well. As I'll see the band in April in the U.K.  I doubt they will perform it (triple bill). But I have hope to hear it during the unplugged shows in Germany in October. Couldn't stop listening to the 'Acoustique'-version when driving the highways lately - so good with the sequences of Tommy's sax in it. LOVE!

SU_5757

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:02 pm »
Enjoyed this review including comments on the lineup.  Hope you will too,  The poor guy seemed to freak a bit when Kelly took his camera, but it sounds like all was forgiven.

http://www.mainemusicnews.com/foreigner-review-state-theatre-portland-maine-february-18-2014/

SoUrgent

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:43:54 am »
Great write up!

Fantastic summation in the final paragraph of the article:

"One final word to the folks who crab and stay home lamenting that original members of the band are no longer on stage – you’re missing a great experience, a terrific, high energy show, and a damn good time.  Personally, I believe that as long as the band is having fun and performing at the top of their game, and people are buying tickets and enjoying the shows, who cares? If you started a band or any other project under a moniker, and if over 37 years members quit, left or passed away, as long as you are remaining true to the project and people want what you’re selling, keep doing what you do. Foreigner gets this.  Damn the Torpedoes!"

SU_5757

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:49:20 pm »
Geez... I even started this thread clearly stating that I did not hear a promo for the show with Lou's vocal and yet here the whining resurfaces again.  I'd really like to hear proof of a present day radio ad using Lou's vocal before this ranting continues.    I haven't read a single posting that lends credence to all these radio spots that only you seem to hear.  Foreignerfan1970  can you put up or shut up? Or better yet, take your concern in an adult manner to Foreigner's management instead of every thread here.

SoUrgent

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:08:50 am »

tell 1968 and Myrtle Beach we say hi.

For humanities sake, I hope you don't have a family. You are far too angry. You'd most certainly be a wife beater.

Tatjana

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58:15 pm »
It must be a great life if you don't have anything better to do but to sign up at a public talkboard under various names just to harrass and insult people.

headknocker

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 02:03:51 pm »
What a hypocrite. All you do is insult and harrass people and your venom towards Mick is over the top. It's ok in your eyes to continuously bust on Mick but you most certainly got your panties in a wad when I gave my take on Lou's current vocals. Can't take what you dish out, my psycho, multiple-screennamed "friend"?

If he's an "average" guitar player it should be easy to mimic Mick's riffs and style, correct? Well, I know in an instant when it's someone other than Mick playing Foreigner songs since his style is ingrained in those tunes. The LGB's guitarist certainly sounds nothing like him...not even close.

Creepy=someone with three screennames. Weird=someone with three screennames.

Someone with three screennames needs to get a life.

Babs

• Babs
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 02:30:40 pm »
AMEN

SU_5757

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56:01 pm »
.  I'd really like to hear proof of a present day radio ad using Lou's vocal before this ranting continues.    I haven't read a single posting that lends credence to all these radio spots that only you seem to hear.  Foreignerfan1970  can you put up or shut up? Or better yet, take your concern in an adult manner to Foreigner's management instead of every thread here.

Hey 1970 et al,
Where is your interest in facts when you are asked for them?
Maybe your radio is picking up 1968,

headknocker

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »
And you're simply an annoying broken record with THREE screennames. Enuff said.

foreignerfan1970

• Newbie Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 06:31:50 pm »
You know what they say about censorship. Checkmate

headknocker

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 01:17:50 am »
Again, THREE screennames. And to top it all off you actually responded to yourself in one thread. What's wrong with you...bipolar...multiple personalities?