Author Topic: The Remixes - I'm sorry, the WHAT? Yup...  (Read 59 times)

AudioRemixer

• Newbie Member
The Remixes - I'm sorry, the WHAT? Yup...
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:23:14 am »
- LINKS TO BOTH RECORDINGS BELOW -

Greetings to Foreigner and all the fans of this iconic band!

My name is David Joel, and I am a freelance Music Producer from Philadelphia! I literally grew up listening to this band because I am the youngest of 4 siblings, and they allowed me to listen to their albums as a kid. From Zeppelin to Billy Joel, to Little River Band, to Stevie Wonder, you name it. My musical influence was very WIDE thanks to my family. During the lockdown of Covid-19, I had recently acquired the studio tracks for both "Jukebox Hero" and "I Want To Know What Love Is".

I was looking for time in my schedule to load these incredible tracks into my studio and get really personal with the music, but I couldn't find it, and I wouldn't ever offer up anything but the best for this band. As you all know by now, time wasn't much of an issue anymore around mid-March, so, with an open musical mind, and a locked front door, I finally went to work. The final products below are a labor of love for my craft, and for this band I have the utmost respect for. So now, I'd like to share the tracks with the band, and the fans.

"I Want To Know What Love Is", is actually a duet mix combined with the 2009 recording by Mariah Carey, whom I was also lucky enough to acquire the studio tracks for her version. I kept the synth and vocals plus the choir from the original recording by Foreigner, and the Rhodes, vocals, and auxiliary rhythm and bells from Mariah's version. Everything else was re-recorded or produced in-house for the 2020 version. Mariah's version posed an interesting challenge, as her version does a very interesting half-step modulation down for the final chorus. I kept the key change, in the hopes that Foreigner's version wouldn't lose any of it's "balls", if you'll pardon the expression. Of all the versions of this song I've heard (and I'll bet there are so many more a lot of you probably never knew existed), I feel like Mariah's version really captured the "magic" that this song needs to deliver the goods. Also, a new choir prelude was added to the front (ask me how I pulled off recording THAT during lockdown), and although both versions fade at the end, I gave it a hard, solid, definitive ending, complete with full orchestra, because that's just how I always heard this song. I also did some trickery with Mariah's vocal, so that she would be lending her vocals to a harmony with Foreigner's version. As you will hear, it truly sounds like they could have recorded this at the same time, instead of the 25 YEARS apart these two versions actually are.

All this work on the music deserved a nod to the original music videos that were produced for each version respectively, so I carefully weaved both of them together into one new video for this new recording/remix.

With a song like Jukebox Hero, I knew I had to be careful on this one, because the bass line and song structure, key and tempo are so much a driving force of this famous track, that if changed too much, might actually turn a lot of people off. There's that old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". So in this case, the original key, tempo, structure, and feel of this remix is held firmly to the original. There were a few slight arrangement changes, which you will no doubt catch immediately if you're a fan of this song and know it well. These were just artistic "extras" to engage the listener and keep the ear interested in what happens next. Without giving too much away, I will say that it was not originally slated to have a new vocal section thrown in there, but as the remix was coming together, something was missing, and when I heard it, I knew immediately where it belonged!

I take my hat off to Mick Jones, and every member of the band, both past and present. They are, without a doubt, nothing LESS than an iconic staple in American music and a/an history example of what kick-ass Rock-N-Roll is made of. I don't doubt for one minute that when Diana Ross told Mick Jones his music felt as though it might lend itself so well to a musical, those words stayed with him all those years. Not only was she right, but she struck a chord that rang without an end, until those first notes were played opening night of the musical production to bring her words and his vision to fruition. I am humbled to have had the chance to hear these iconic tracks broken down into their individual tracks, and hope, as I always strive to do, engage the listener in a brand new way, without losing the original feel of the song itself, and perhaps, if I'm lucky, to breathe new life into a track that quite frankly, doesn't need it.

I hope you enjoy the music. The links are listed below.

Sincerely,

David Joel

Foreigner Feat. Mariah Carey - I Want To Know What Love Is (The 2020 Duet Mix)

https://youtu.be/hPfw_QsZFQ4

Foreigner - Jukebox Hero 2020 (David Joel Remix)

https://youtu.be/V6wn-3qLAGg