Author Topic: Altoona Pa. concert  (Read 1372 times)

dlimler

• Newbie Member
Altoona Pa. concert
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:22:32 pm »
I went to concert at railroaders museum
8/19/08 concert was awesome really liked the performance of jukebox hero good job foreigner and thank you for coming

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Altoona Pa. concert
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:05 pm »
Thanks for the review and welcome to the board!  
I was very tempted to go last night but it was a 4 hr drive and a work night.

A4nrfan4ever

• Newbie Member
Altoona Pa. concert
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:03:19 pm »
Well.... I didn't know if this day would ever come or not.  

I've been a Foreigner fan since their first album.  It's been tough for me to accept this line up, particularly without Lou, as a TRUE Foreigner group.  It may sound harsh but when Kelly joined the group I thought of them as more of a Foreigner cover band.  Not that Kelly was a bad singer; he's great.  It's just that Lou was THE voice...and a very recognizable one at that.  Kelly's vocals didn't seem anywhere close in the beginning.  The songs just didn't seem the same.  So, I haven't followed them as much in recent years.

Last year the band was supposed to play at the Clearfield County Fair, but had to cancel due to Kelly's illness.  I thought about going.  I knew at some point I'd have to check them out regardless of my opinions.  So, when I found out they were coming to Altoona, I jumped on the opportunity.

I was still skeptical...believe me...no matter what the reviews said.  About a week before the concert I was channel-surfing and came across Foreigner playing in Orlando.  It gave me a little hope.  But, I was floored when I just happened to check out this site and heard "Too Late".  Is it just me, or has Kelly altered his singing vocals to give it more of a deeper, "Lou" sound?  Whatever has transpired, I'm sold now.

I've only caught Foreigner once in concert before; in 1985.  Still in the "Lou" days.  Yet, last night's show was awesome to say the least.  Possibly one of the top three I've ever seen.  Maybe it was the intimacy of being so close to the stage.  But, I feel it had more to do with the energy this group has.  Definitely topped the '85 gig.  Kelly, although he has a little too much Steven Tyler going on, is electric on stage.  And, as I've read before, you can see this bunch enjoys working together and has great chemistry.  And, Mick hasn't missed a beat.

REALLY like hearing "Starrider".  Wish more bands would play the obscure stuff more often.  The "unplugged" version of "Say You Will" was cool.  And, the two Zeppelin intros/bridges were killer.  Jason is a nut behind the drums besides being an incredible musician.  And, kudos to Tom, Jeff and Michael for their talents as well.

So.... there you have it.  The ultimate skeptic has accepted this "new" line up.  Will DEFINITELY catch them again if the opportunity presents itself.  My girlfriend had a blast as well.  Now, if I can just find the CD.  WalMart isn't stocking ANY Foreigner stuff it seems.  Guess I'll have to check around.

THANKS for the memories, guys.  ROCK ON!!!!!

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Altoona Pa. concert
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:09:02 pm »
wow now that wins the Olympic gold in concert reviews!!  Thanks so much for your honesty about your resistance to accepting Kelly into the band.  I hear too many times people bashing the new lineup without even seeing the band live.  Maybe others that have been hesitant in the past will give the band a second try.  and Lou will always live on as one of the greatest, soulful voices of all time.

Gina

CatalinaK

Altoona Pa. concert
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:16:36 am »
WOW....that is AWESOME to hear ... we already knew that :happy: but so thrilled you gave it a go and feel the way we do here.  :biggrin:

Kelly has an amazing voice of his own and can sing just about anything!  Very talented indeed...not to mention a really great person.

You can get the new double cd "No End in Sight" and the Live in '05 (with ALL Kelly vocals) in the online store  here...or Amazon

These guys are definitely full of energy and never disappoint!
Welcome aboard!  :smile:

DirtyWhiteGirl

Altoona Pa. concert
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 01:11:45 pm »
Yep, agreeing with the above posters...really fab review, and extra kudos for the honesty :wink:
Don't forget to check out the Alive & Rockin' DVD if you want to re-live this line up in action! Awesome gig from the Bang Your Head festival in Germany in '06 :smile:

Edit to add: Michael Bluestein doesn't appear in this DVD, it's the previous keyboard player Jeff Jacobs.