Author Topic: Clearfield Fair Concert  (Read 4536 times)

justafan

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
I found out Foreigner was playing at the Clearfield fair and had to go see them. I am not a groupie and therefore I was not up on their history.  Foreigner is one of my all time favorites since they came out. I wore out their first two records.

I was a bit disappointed to find out that Lou Gramm was no longer with the band (shows you that I was not up on their history) but I still had to go see them.  Heck, my parents would not let me go see them when they played in Johnstown PA back when I was in 7th grade.

So anyhow, my review for what it is worth and this is very objective and unbiased. The band is great, the sound was terrible and the rest of this review is about having to sit through a show where the mix was terrible.

The band is great but Mick Jones needs to have a serious talk with the sound crew. There is no way it should take until the last four songs of the concert to get a decent mix.  The band is much better than that and quite frankly the sound man needs to be replaced.  From my point of view, there are two reasons the crowd was so into this concert.  1. They love Foreigner. 2. Bands like Foreigner coming to this neck of the woods are a luxury.

However, no matter where the show is, fans deserve a better production than what I saw last night.  I wrestled between being so excited to see these guys and wanting to leave. The ticket was cheap but that is no excuse.

They got a decent mix half way through the show and then the guy decided to destroy it.  JukeBox Hero was pretty good and he destroyed it again.  If it weren't for the fans singing along with "I want to know what love is", that would have been disappointed.

I am sure it would have helped to have an opening act but a good sound crew gets the mix down in two songs and it stays that way.  This guy took over half the show and managed to loose it when he had it nailed. The vocals were dull and background vocals were mush most of the night. The keyboard player should have first crack at reaming the sound crew because he is too talented and would have sounded better playing my daughter's Casio from Target last night.

Sorry folks. I was so disappointed I had to find this forum just to vent. However, I would like to see them again and hopefully it will be better.

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:30:26 am »
There must have been something wrong...
I have been to many shows and the sound had been amazing.
I know that the sound man is a very competent and experienced individual!!!
Gina

DirtyWhiteGirl

Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:48:23 pm »
I just got this review through on google and it seems a good time was had by all and their reviewer thought it was a great gig.

http://www.theprogressnews.com/default.asp?read=13501

labelldame

• Kelly Hansen Rocks!
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »
Thanx DWG for posting the link to the review.
My favorite line from the article:

Following the concert, which included several encores, a guitar signed by the band members was presented to Brenda Holland of Duncansville. The sleek black guitar came with a hug from Mr. Hansen, leaving the thrilled Ms. Holland almost speechless.

:wub:
Gina

DirtyWhiteGirl

Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:03:27 pm »
I loved that part too! Lucky lady :smile:

michellea

• FF#3
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 02:33:18 pm »
They DO leave one speechless don't they, Gina!? HA HA! :wub:

foreignertour

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:52:44 pm »
The problem with an outdoor event like this is, no sound check, so the sound guy did what he could. It's hard since they play so many different venues, to get it perfect. Plus where you are seated or standing effects the whole experience, also the sound guy has to do it with an empty place, then adjust for the amount of people later. So that is why you never get the quality of a Cd or made for Radio studio mix at any concert. The lights and crowd was great, and help make the show better. I'm sorry you did not have a great listening experience. What did you think of Jason's new drum solo with some Led Zep thrown in?

STP

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:38:26 pm »
I was at the concert and I didn't have a problem with the sound. A lot depends on where you are sitting. I was in the center of the grandstand the only problems I noticed was at the very beginning the lead singer's mike wasn't loud enough and that was fixed in 10 seconds.
The only other problem was when they couldn't get any sound from Mick's acoustic guitar, and it delayed the start of the song for a few minutes until he got a new guitar and they joked about while they waited.
But I thought the concert was great. And several people at work told me they thought it was one of the best shows they have been to.
And I did like how they threw in a bit Kashmir with the drum solo.

DirtyWhiteGirl

Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:57:13 pm »
I read about him doing Kashmir. I love hearing him play that, hope some YouTube footage turns up of it :smile:

DWG

justafan

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:55 pm »
A lot depends on where <b> everyone</b> is sitting. The show needs to sound good for everyone. At least for everyone sitting between the stacks.  I was sitting directly in front of the righ stack in the bleechers.  This is a prime spot. Especially when outdoors which is much easier to do than indoors. There are no room conditions to accomodate. All you have to worry about when outdoors is having enough power to cover your audience, in order to be as loud as you want, without clipping the amps.

The low end and low mid was overpowering most of the night. It drowned out the vocals. Kelly Hansons vocals only sounded crisp for about 5 songs last night.  One was mid show and after that it was not good until JukeBox Hero.

Foreigner did not have an opening act. So maybe I would give the crew an extra song to get things right. At most, four songs into the act, they should have had the sound set.

The big thing that blew my mind was why they could not let things well enough alone, mid show, when they figured it out.  They were screwing with it all night.

I was not the only person sitting in my area that felt this way. The guy beside me said the same thing.

Was this Foreigner's equipment or some setup for all of the Clearfield fair acts?  If its the latter, I will cut the guy some slack. But overall, I spent the night thinking "these guys aren't going to keep a job very long".

If I were to rank last night's experience against all the bands I have seen, I would have to say Los Lobos was more enjoyable when opening for John Mellencamp than Foreigner was last night. Los Lobos is hard to sit through when waiting for John Mellencamp to come on stage.

tarvgr99

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:45 pm »
My wife and I had track seats, good ones too.  When the band came out, and Kelly Hansen motioned people to come on up towards the stage, we were there!!!  And we were were there the whole concert. We have been to many concerts at the fair, and not knowing what to expect from a reformed Foreigner band, I was not expecting the show I saw last night.  I hurt, from bee-bopping, and I can't talk from singing all the songs!!  Sound?????  I heard a great concert!!!  We were center stage, up front, and at 47 years old, that is still an awesome thing as felt like 20 all over again! I was 16 when they first came out, and never thought they would come to our town.  Last night was the best concert the Clearfield County Fair ever had, bar none. My wife and I and friends and family around us can vow for what I am saying.  I am a drummer, and knowing that Jason Bonham was the drummer and they did Led Zep tunes as well, just was a plus!!   Some of you may be dismayed from the sound, being that I was on stage once, and know what you are saying, but from where we where at, I heard the best concert Clearfield ever had!!!  My bones and my lose of voice can proof that!!!!  Kudos to Mick Jones on getting his band on track and they are now back in the game!!  I would see again in a heartbeat!!

STP

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:02:41 pm »
At many concert venues, it is far better to sit in the center rather than off to the sides unless you are very close to the stage.
If you are not close to the stage and you have the choice of being closer but off to the side or farther back and in the center take the center and bring binoculars.
Most bands have the sound from some instruments coming from the right side and some from the left. And if you are off to the side and sitting close to the large speakers but not close to the stage speakers the instruments coming out of the large speakers will drown out the sound from the instruments coming from the other side of the stage.
This is true at many venues I have been to, and I know this is the case at the Clearfield fairgrounds. Believe me center grandstand is even better than track seats if you are off to the side. (Unless of course you can get to the stage.)
I have learned this lesson the hard way, now whenever I go to a concert, wherever it is I make sure I am in the center sections.

justafan

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:00:28 am »
You folks who went up front should be able to hear everything well and you are picking up stage monitor mix for vocals.

As for instrument amps, a good sound company keeps stage volume under control so that it does not override the system.

I stayed at the very same spot all night and that spot was prime. The arangement of speakers at both stacks covered where I was sitting. The final four songs of the show sounded great. That's way too long for a show of this calliber.

Rocksan

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 05:56:43 pm »
I am so glad other people here are saying how great it was, because that sound engineer is one of THE BEST in the business you are "talking" about.  You sound a little experienced in mixing to be justafan.

Other things happen sometimes beyond any HUMAN control, we are not in their shoes so........

Rock On!!

THIS WEBSITE IS AWESOME YOU GUYS!!!
Kisses

tarvgr99

• Newbie Member
Clearfield Fair Concert
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 06:15:59 pm »
I understand what you are saying justafan, but where we were, at that time, it was the most awesome concert at the fair that we have witnessed. And we have seen MANY at the fair.  REO Speedwagon, Styx, Chicago, just to name a few!!  Foreigner by far none, provided a show that was worth the money I paid to see!!!  Not all bands will play as long as they did, nearly two hours!!  Again, worth the money for the tickets paid.  Again, I am sorry you felt the sound wasn't good until the last four songs, you should have been where we were, you would feel much different about it!! BTW- I am still hoarse, and ache, that proves what a good time I had.